Is this a Welsummer?

Matzwd

Songster
5 Years
Apr 9, 2018
St Louis, Missouri
So, I've raised this girl from day-old, having been told by the seller she is a Welsummer. She's now about 24 weeks old, super sweet, squats but doesn't lay yet. I'm new to chickens and have a mixed flock, with Nugget here being the only one of her kind. I've been checking out pics of Welsummer hens online, and now I'm questioning her breed. She looks a lot like my sex link but is quite a bit darker.
20180923_105938.jpg
Does anyone know what she is?

So, I've raised this girl from day-old, having been told by the seller she is a Welsummer. She's now about 24 weeks old, super sweet, squats but doesn't lay yet. I'm new to chickens and have a mixed flock, with Nugget here being the only one of her kind. I've been checking out pics of Welsummer hens online, and now I'm questioning her breed. She looks a lot like my sex link but is quite a bit darker. View attachment 1541863 Does anyone know what she is?
Not a Welsummer.

I agree she is not a Welsummer but still a pretty girl. :love

I would be expect brown to maybe cream colored eggs... she looks to be brown layer... red ear lobes, crossed to a white layer... hence the white subtly covering them.

Maybe a brown leghorn cross (just cause they have the same color pattern and white lobes)... definitely a more dual purpose body type though. Where did she come from? :pop

Where did she come from?
I got her and the rest of my chicks (except the silkies) from a local guy who orders in bulk from a hatchery in the spring and sells them from his home. I thought he said he ordered from Cackle.

I love her regardless of what she is. I was looking forward to Welsummer eggs, though, which brings me to another question. My sex link is laying daily for sure, and she's the only one so far, until yesterday. I also have a Salmon Faverolle, polish, SLW, and this mystery girl. Yesterday, there was an extra egg that was creamy white colored. I assumed it was from the faverolle, but I have no proof of that. Nugget has been squatting more. The faverolle will squat walk, but doesn't set her feet and do a true squat. The polish has been seen checking out the boxes, but isn't doing any squatting. I had ruled out Miss Nugget as the culprit because I was certain she would lay a brown egg. What do you think? Could she have laid this egg?
20180922_172817.jpg
Here is the cinnamon queen brown egg next to the cream one.

I also have a Salmon Faverolle, polish, SLW, and this mystery girl. Yesterday, there was an extra egg that was creamy white colored.
The Polish will lay white, though I'm not sure if glossy or chalky. I would expect the Faverolle to mature kinda late relatively, but I see new things everyday.

What color are her legs? The closest thing I can make out at Cackle might be their Freedom Rangers... I agree, that she is great if you are happy with her! I just love a good mystery, the breed/gender games is one of my faves. :)

That egg looks pretty white to me, but it could be not showing up on my screen. Or what you are calling creamy I might be calling chalky? One thing is if it a new egg... sometimes the color factory hasn't worked the kinks out of the spray booth yet. Meaning they can often be much lighter or darker or even variable in the beginning than they will even out to be. In the Marans, we are supposed to judge color around the 20th egg laid as a good sample.

Some pullets or hens will NOT squat. Some will do the walking squat, or squat but hop away.. and some are super squatty! :p

It could have came from her. :confused: :pop

Somebody's laying! :wee

Back
Top Bottom