Is this a West of England?

RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Wallingford, CT
This goose was found on the side of the road and so far nobody has come forward for her. I've also picked up a duck and a rooster in the same spot, so either somebody keeps dumping animals there or animals keep getting loose from someone in the area.

photo2-29.jpg

So is she a West of England? She'll need a good home soon!

Quote:
I can't say you are wrong but I would expect to see some trace of a Knob above the bill and a smoother longer neck out of a China cross. Maybe 1/4 or 1/8 china in the mix? I think the posted picture is a WOE Goose, a Gander would have less color and more white wouldn't it? Never seen a WOE goose but have seen !/2 China crosses.

Last edited:
Hey GD!
Yeah, I think the ganders are mostly white. Similar to Pilgrims and Shetlands. Here is a picture from the Domestic Waterfowl Club of UK. I've seen them only in pictures as well, but I think that particular bird appears to have some chinese influence in there. Seen lots of chinese crosses over the years, and many of them look like this or some also look like the "blue" geese that are common in chinese crosses. Besides WOE's are very rare in the US...but chinese crosses are fairly common. If it was WOE, I doubt someone who spent all the money and time on them would keep them more carefully and not allow them near the road. At least I would hope, at least...
smile.png

swim.jpg

Blue-crosses from Pidgey104's thread a while back.

chickies%20168.JPG

Last edited:
Quote:
I bow to your logic on the WOE and to the fact that I have only seen 1/2 China X. I sort of like the look of those blue geese in the second picture! How are they bred do you know? The best goose I have ever seen was the product of a blue phase snow goose (wild type) with the owners "flying breed" he couldn't tell me the make up of the "flying breed"except it was heavily white snow goose crossed with other white light domestics he had about 9 generations in the line. He had to keep the birds grounded during hunting season because he was in the central flyway where snow geese were favored targets.

I was having some discussion (in person) with a goose keeper here about canada x chinese crosses, canada x embden, buff, roman etc... crosses. We were talking about the offspring being fertile or if they were sterile similar to the muscovy crosses, and I remember some discussion on the topic back when we were on that other forum (not poultry connection, but the one that use to belong to Kat.) I THINK... its been quite a while since then. I went home and looked in the books I have, but couldn't find anything about it in particular.
K&S

Well, I never realized anybody replied to this thread! We still have this goose, I have no idea how to identify it and don't even know whether it's a goose or gander. A rehabber told us that it's perfectly fine to let it go at a local reservoir....I can't imagine that's a good idea for a domestic goose. The goose isn't very happy to be in a chainlink kennel but it at least has shelter and a kiddie pool.

Back
Top Bottom