Is this a worm?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by hansenhomestead, Jul 8, 2016.

1. hansenhomestead

hansenhomestead New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    I have 7 coturnix quail. We've been enjoying their eggs. Mainly I hardboil them. But today I found this dark string type thing in one of the eggs as I was shelling it.
    I do keep them on the ground, I use the deep litter method. I have not worked them yet. I just realized one of my quail is a male so the eggs have been fertilized. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hansenhomestead

hansenhomestead New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    Wormed not worked. Also none of them are acting sick or different.

3. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    From the picture, I'd say it could be a worm yes. But if you have a microscope you can take a closer look at it and tell for sure. I don't know much about poultry worms, but from the size and color you should also be able to narrow down the species - and if you do have a microscope, you can probably get an exact ID by comparing with pictures online.
    Worms don't have to cause any disease in the quail. Most parasites have no benefit from their host dying, so a successful parasite causes little or no symptoms. The problem arises if the immune system of any of the quail weakens. That might allow the worms to multiply too quickly and then they can cause problems. But I'd start by trying to ID the worm to determine how likely it is to cause trouble, and depending on the result I'd try to get a dewormer that's effective against that species.

1 person likes this.
  4. That Quail Lady

That Quail Lady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2016
    Houston
    There is a Herb you can grow in their coop, or just feed to them that can be used as a natural dewormer.

Nasturtium - laying stimulant, antiseptic, antibiotic, insecticide, wormer.

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/07/benefits-of herbs.html

This site is one of my favorites it has so many herbs with great health benefits.

1 person likes this.
  5. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state
    Could be just a blood string. They do get blood in there eggs every so often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by