is this air cell normal? help please!!!

ChickenTiff

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Texas
Here is a picture of the air cell that I am normally seeing. This is a duck egg....

normal.jpg

And look at the air cell of this duck egg, will this baby be ok??

odd.jpg

I am pretty new to this, I know pipping is when they break the air cell and you can hear them inside the egg?? They are 28 day hatchers and we are on day 21.
TIFFANY

I do see movement in it still, little feather twitches alone the edges. I am one nervous duck momma lol

Tiff, if you see movement thats great, I would just pay closer attention to it come hatch time just to make sure it pips and zips as needed. Not sure how many you have in there,but once the others start, if this one doesn't follow soon after, I would be thinking it may need some help.

Tiffany, I am clueless on incubation stuff...I shove em under a broody and let her do everything.
gig.gif

You could PM Terrielacy the administrator, she is great with ducks and geese and give her the link to this thread. If anyone has information about duckies and duckie eggs it her.

Don't quote me on this, but when the air cell gets larger it's because the membrane is pulling away from the shell as the egg either develops (fertile eggs) or gets older (evaporation of the liquid inside the egg). It looks to me like the membrane that makes up the air cell is just pulling away unevenly. The dark areas are where the membrane is still stuck to the inside of the egg, and the light areas are where the air is. I wouldn't worry, but then again I don't know for sure....

Happens all the time. Watch that one at hatch it may be more porous and drier by hatch date than the others and have trouble hatching - put a mark on it. Normally you'd see that a day or two before hatch but it happens in some earlier. I've one about the same number of days from hatch that's like that now.

Back
Top Bottom