Is this always true when sexing Barred Rocks?

Hatchery chicks are akin to getting a "german shepherd" from the pound vs. a German Shepherd from a reputable AKC breeder that shows German Shepherd in working dog trials. (If that analogy makes sense). Sure, your pound puppy could be purebred, but it probably won't be conformationally PERFECT like the one purchased from a breeder who concentrates on planning breedings to produce proper conformation, color, temperament, etc.
The folks who breed heritage stock (or heritage quality) chickens are using birds that meet standards for size, shape, feather pattern/color, etc. Hatcheries are mass producing birds that may or may not look and act like the foundation stock of that breed.
See below in a thread I posted, a poster replies to me with photos of hatchery BR and heritage BR, there is quite a difference in just the feathering.

And don't get people started on Ameraucanas from hatcheries. Those are definitely NOT Ameraucanas, those are mutts ("Easter Eggers") for sure. True Ameraucanas are not that easy to obtain because there aren't many out there (compared to, say, BR), and I would assume have a price to reflect that.
This is not to say that there is anything wrong with hatchery chicks. But they are inexpensive, easy to come by and not well-regulated when it comes to breeding for the standards set for each breed. They still turn out stinkin' cute, lay well, taste great and do everything a chicken should (and shouldn't) do.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/749992/another-gender-question-w-photos-br-and-ba#post_10596989
I'm in the same boat as you, with the questionable Barred Rock. He's 5 wks old tomorrow and although I'm leaning towards cockerel, I'm not 100% convinced because he just hasn't developed as much as some other 5 wk photos I've seen on BYC.
idunno.gif

Here below are two heritage, true red Barred Rocks. One cockerel and one pullet. The difference is obvious. You have to sex using more than merely leg wash. It is not an "old wives tale" concerning the combs and wattles. As you can see, the males absolutely show their combs and wattles far sooner than the females.

Since the cockerels have two barring genes, while the female only carry one barring gene (IIRC) the cockerels will show bright, wide, white bars while the hatchery type pullets will often show far less distinct, almost spotty, cuckoo barring.

The first photo is also a hatchery pair. The difference between a true bred vs hatchery Barred Rock is usually night and day. Hatcheries produce tens of thousands of chicks, using mass production "breeding" methods. The stock is often tinged with Leghorn blood to hype productivity. Hope that helps in understanding the difference.

Last edited:
So much for that employee's "expertise". I've seen so many stories of "helpful" employees sexing chicks with methods known to be unreliable. I know they mean well but it gives a false sense of security to the buyer that doesn't do them any favors.

The TSCs around here all buy straight run for everything but production layers while the local co-op orders only sexed pullets. Sure, they cost a little more but I'd rather pay $3.75 and get females than pay $2 for a 50/50 shot. I guess TSC assumes people don't mind buying twice as many as they want and processing the males.

Last edited:
I hope your breeder/expert allows a swap! I bought 2BO and 2 LO. Both Lavs turned out to be roos. My breeder gave me 2 pullets of different breeds (one EE and one SLW) in exchange for one roo. Since I decided to keep the other he still felt that he had made such a huge mistake he gave me a free PBR pullet. I bought a second PBR to be its buddy.

Back
Top Bottom