Is This An Acan Flu Outbreak????

Bonesandoscar

In the Brooder
May 10, 2015
Hello everyone. This evening while doing the weekend routine of washing out pens, I noticed one of the baby turkeys had all of his feather ruffled and was standing in the corner with his eye half closed. He would blink a little and the close them again. I had noticed that for the past few days he hadn't eaten a lot and was acting slow, but I figured he would clear up, for sometimes the other animals lose their appetites for a few days. After reading an article saying that bird flu would more then likely take a large hit on Mississippi this fall due to migrating Geese, I became highly worried. I am mortified, because I love my birdies and I know that if this is AF, the they will have to be euthanized. Does this sound like AF to you? If not, what is wrong? Thanks everyone!

Sounds like there is definitely something wrong with him, but if it was AI all your birds would be dead or very sick by now. It's an extremely deadly disease.

I recommend doing a full physical exam, first off, and then doing a cursory check on all your other birds as well. If no one else is sick and you don't find anything strange during his physical exam, you're probably looking at one of those "something went wrong internally" sort of situations, which rarely have an explanation or obvious cause. If so, you can attempt treatment via antibiotics and supplements (I'm fond of a NutriDrench/ACV/antibiotic power combo added to the water) and hope he gets better, though these sort of things aren't easy to treat since it's never quite certain exactly what's being treated.

Sounds like there is definitely something wrong with him, but if it was AI all your birds would be dead or very sick by now. It's an extremely deadly disease.

I recommend doing a full physical exam, first off, and then doing a cursory check on all your other birds as well. If no one else is sick and you don't find anything strange during his physical exam, you're probably looking at one of those "something went wrong internally" sort of situations, which rarely have an explanation or obvious cause. If so, you can attempt treatment via antibiotics and supplements (I'm fond of a NutriDrench/ACV/antibiotic power combo added to the water) and hope he gets better, though these sort of things aren't easy to treat since it's never quite certain exactly what's being treated.

Alright, thanks. Another scary thing is is that they all just recovered from an unknown fungus that attacked all of our bird . Our vet helped us and that got back to normal, so I was wondering if it was maybe an aftermath thing.

Could it be coccidiosis? Maybe the fungus weakened their immune systems so one got cocci. I have had great luck treating cocci with cayenne pepper (great luck meaning all birds treated lived and untreated ones died) a couple teaspoons per turkey in their food, just a thought if you want to try it.
smile.png

I'm so sorry for the loss of your little one.
hugs.gif

I, too, doubt it is Avian Flu, as that would spread rapidly to your other birds. The ruffled feathers and standing in the corner is classic for coccidiosis. Look to see if you see any bloody droppings near where the young one would stand or elsewhere around the coop. Coccidiosis is contagious, so I would preventatively treat the rest of the birds in that coop.

Back
Top Bottom