Is this an aggressive roo, or one that's upset with a move?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by keesmom, Nov 1, 2009.

1. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I was helping a BYC member to rehome some birds. One was a year old frizzle roo. I only had him for a day but he was calm and non-aggressive. He went to his new home yesterday along with a red silkie hen he's been with for a while.

Since he's arrived at his new home he's gone after his new owner twice. Is this normal behavior after a move such as this? Is it likely this will continue, or will he settle down as he gets to know his new people and adjusts to his new home? His prior owner hatched him and there he was a nice, docile boy.

-Cindy in MA

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Considering that my roo attacks people other than me (strangers, sometimes DH) then I would think he's just going to have to learn to trust his new "food person"
    He's probably trying to get to the top of the pecking order in the new situation as fast as he can, and hasn't figured out that the new people are the boss now.

So yes he's "agressive" but may learn to trust/respect the new human, I think it has flared up because of the move. I wouldn't send him to freezer camp just yet, take some time to work with him first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by