Is this an Ameraucana and what is this color called?

jmarie

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 18, 2012
Hampton, VA
New chicken I got last week, I was told she is about 6-7 month old Ameraucana. However I am a complete newbie to all things chickens! Of my 4 chickens she is by far my fav and a complete sweetie.

Looks like she is an Easter Egger! Since they're not a true breed, they don't have official colors, but she is lovely
roll.png

Thanks so much!! I was looking at the breed stuff on the website but I know so little it was hard to know. What are the biggest giveaways that she is an easter egger?

An easter egger is a chicken who has the blue egg gene. Usually one of their parents is a real ameraucana, or you can get one from two full blooded ameraucanas, but it's color is just off. Yours does look like an easter egger though, and many have greenish legs and a similar color pattern. There are many threads on here to check out and educate yourself on ameraucanas and EE's. She can lay green, blue, or any color egg since she is mixed.

I would recommend visiting www.ameraucana.org if you'd like a very comprehensive run-down on the three breeds that are commonly confused for one another: Ameraucana/Easter Eggers/Araucanas.

It's a very nice website, and one section includes pictures of the colors that are accepted in the Amercaucana breed.

Back
Top Bottom