Is this an egg remnant?

Dennis vH

In the Brooder
May 24, 2022
Hi duck-loving community,

Today, after letting our Pekin duck take a bath, we found something in the water that looks like what might be some remnants of an egg that never developed. It's an elongated, translucent, almost transparent, soft and slimy substance of about 3 to 4 inches long and a quarter inch in diameter at its thickest part. She used to lay eggs until a few weeks ago (I guess season is over for her), and this is the first time we found something like this. It's not moving (not a worm), and if I take it out of the water with a stick, it just drapes over the stick, like some sticky egg white.

Any suggestions, or something to worry about?

Thanks!
Dennis

Attachments

• Egg remnant.jpg
    Egg remnant.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 18
Hi duck-loving community,

Today, after letting our Pekin duck take a bath, we found something in the water that looks like what might be some remnants of an egg that never developed. It's an elongated, translucent, almost transparent, soft and slimy substance of about 3 to 4 inches long and a quarter inch in diameter at its thickest part. She used to lay eggs until a few weeks ago (I guess season is over for her), and this is the first time we found something like this. It's not moving (not a worm), and if I take it out of the water with a stick, it just drapes over the stick, like some sticky egg white.

Any suggestions, or something to worry about?

Thanks!
Dennis
Can you take it out of the water and get another clear picture?

Can you take it out of the water and get another clear picture?
When I took it out of the water, it was like a snotty blob wrapped around the twig. In the water, you can see its shape. I already tossed it and cleaned the tub. Our duck seems to be fine, though. No signs of pain or discomfort. She acts like she always does.

One of my ducks has been laying soft shell eggs lately and sometimes the soft egg has what you're describing attached to the top of it. It's some type of egg material. I think its the inner membrane that the hard shell would usually form over. Is it normal for her to take breaks from egg laying? If not, I would suggest giving her some calcium supplements.

One of my ducks has been laying soft shell eggs lately and sometimes the soft egg has what you're describing attached to the top of it. It's some type of egg material. I think its the inner membrane that the hard shell would usually form over. Is it normal for her to take breaks from egg laying? If not, I would suggest giving her some calcium supplements.
Thank you for sharing your experience! She does indeed take breaks from egg laying. We mix ground up oyster shells into their food, and she also has an extra bowl of just oyster shell grind next to the water bucket, which she eats from every now and then.

Update about the egg issue. Today, she just started laying again after the previous egg remnant. But this new egg is tiny compared to her previous eggs (and a bit malformed too). I put it next to our other duck's (normal) egg in the picture.
Anyway, it looks like a good sign that she'll be back to normal soon.

Attachments

• 2022-06-10 Eggs Olive and Marsh after failed egg.jpg
    2022-06-10 Eggs Olive and Marsh after failed egg.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom