Is this an OK price for hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Scottyhorse, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Scottyhorse

Scottyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    Eastern Wa
    I want to buy some different chicken breed eggs. Hatch them, and then sell some of their eggs for people to hatch. Here is what I would get:

12 Orpington Eggs (all types)
    3 Blue Ameraucana
    2 Blue Andalusian
    2 Golden Lakenvelder

After shipping, total would come to $110... Yikes. Seems like a lot to me. Egg prices are okay but shipping is a little over $40!!

Is this a good price? Where else should I look? I at least want the orpington assortment and blue ameraucanas. The orp. assortment has Buff, Blue, Black, Lavender, and Splash.

Thanks!

2. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Price would come out at around $3.70/egg, and $40.00 shipping. That seems normal enough, but the shipping is high. But, everything depends on the shipping method. Which, I would ask them about?

Also, if you are getting these to raise for people to hatch eggs from, I question your assortment. These are shipped egg, you are lucky if 50% hatch, then 50% of the ones that do will be male, and then not all of them will be breeders quality.

If you are only getting 2 - 3 eggs I wouldn't bother, unless you are looking to add to a flock that you already own. Because, 2 - 3 isn't enough to get anything to work with.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  3. Scottyhorse

Oct 26, 2012
    Eastern Wa
    We already have a flock. A large one I might add! I would probably take these ones to the fair and show them.
    I am ordering them from www.mypetchicken.com

You make some good points though.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If you're getting these eggs from MPC, don't expect any of them to do well in shows. You'd be better off shopping locally or getting your eggs from BYC. Just my opinion though. Good luck!
    Nikki

1 person likes this.
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I would look at the byc folks who sell hatching eggs. You'll get a lot better quality than mpc, you can see pics of the parent stock and check the seller's feedback, see how they pack eggs and how other folk's hatch rates have been. If you're most interested in Orpingtons, I'd also go hang out on the orpington thread and see who had quality birds there, get an eye for what you want.

Do you have this many seperate breeding pens? You're looking at a LOT of different pens for keeping all the colors of all the breeds seperate for purity.

I agree on the ordering just a few eggs........you're quite likely to wind up with two of the same gender, or have a bad hatch and only one bird, etc. I'd narrow down the breeds you want, focus on one or two and work on quality of those birds, not quantity of a lot of mediocre birds.

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's a lot for hatching eggs. You would probably get a better deal buying chicks of those breeds, or established breeding pairs. You figure, with the shipping rate and possibility of less than perfect hatch rate, it could cost as much as $5 or more per chick/egg!

7. Scottyhorse

Oct 26, 2012
    Eastern Wa
    So, I found someone on here where I can get 12 eggs for $35 and $16 shipping! Much better price IMO :) I decided I will keep the Orpingtons in with the goats, that way I can collect eggs for hatching, and our flock for laying can do their thing LOL Going to get them in mid March. Yippeee! Now I might as well put an add on for other eggs.. My brother wants red silkies and araucanas, and I want cochins/frizles, and Americanas.. How many do you think we should get each? If we can get them of course! If we have any extra chicks we can give some to the neighbor.. I love spring!

8. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I try to buy by the dozen, and expect a 30% hatch rate. Usually I get a higher percentage to hatch, it just depends. Sometimes I get nothing. There are a lot of factors, from what the parents were fed, how the eggs were stored, how they're packed, if anyone throws or drops the box, if it's xrayed, and then the incubation as well.

Thought I was little miss hatching queen until I started fooling with shipped eggs. It can be incredibly disappointing.

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    On craigs I saw hatching eggs of your kind for $2 each. Our feed tore sells spring chicks for $2-$3 each. I would lok for local first,then chicks,then consider paying for shipped eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by