1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this an okay brooder set up PICS ADDED

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Zahboo, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    My boyfriend bought me 2 silkies and a polish chick. We are getting them later today. I was planning on ordering them, so he knew I wanted them. The only thing is I've had to make a brooder in about an hour. I found a sterilite container tub that is big enough, but What about a light. What light do they need. I have a 60 watt light buld in it now, is it good enough. They are 6 days old. I know they need bedding with paper towels over it. A chick feeder, a small waterer with pebbles or something so they don't drown. Am I missing anything? I am uploading pics now.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2009
  2. chicken farmer meigs

chicken farmer meigs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    Florence Mt.
    It lookes fine. You might try a red bulb instead of white light. The red will give them heat and still let them sleep easier than the bright bulb. You will want to change the paper daily so have pleanty on hand they can get messy. Good luck

3. echlfan

echlfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Fresno, California
    What is the temp in there? It needs to be about 90 degrees.

4. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    At 6 days old you might want to check if that light you got there is producing enough heat for them in one spot of the brooder should be around 90 in one area but have enough room for them to get away from the heat source. If you have a reptile light set up you could set it on top of the brooder in one of you heart cut out areas.

5. birdbrain2

birdbrain2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    the size of your light only depends of what temp you are able to keep. i use a 250 watt light. mine are in a brooder just a little bigger than yours, but is also kept in my cold basement. just use a cheap round outdoor thermometer to keep at 6days old=90 degrees.
    good luck and have fun

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  6. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Love the dual hearts!

7. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Thanks volume. We figured since they are a v-day gift, be spontaneous. I will get a bigger light. Our house is about 70 degress, so They shouldn't need TOO much.

8. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    Looks gret except I would not use news paper...use either shavings or paper towels. The newspaper is slippery for them to walk on.....just my input.

Thanks

Annika

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Paper towels.

Make certain that it's at least 90 degrees somewhere in there.

Cute.

10. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    make sure the chicks can't burn themselves on light bulb. they hop around and jump up more than i expected. I'm using a similar tub and put wire over top and have light sitting on top. I'ts working well. Good luck and enjoy...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by