Is this asking for too many modifications?

Rainbow Advaya

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
My dad is building me an 8x8 coop based off my neighbors turkey coop. I went over and looked at the coop and I feel like it is definately better than the shed I was trying to renovate. However there are some flaws in my neighbors coop. I'm not about to harass him over everything he has done wrong, but I would obviously like my dad to not make the same mistakes. For instance my neighbor has huge windows that open via a flap for ventilation. The wire covering these windows? Chainlink! I know nothing about turkeys, but this seems quite unsafe to me. I know it'd never be safe for chickens.

While he is, or maybe BECAUSE he is, a very capable builder and electrian, my dad is always very busy and I'm actually amazed he has agreed to do this for me. While I AM SO THANKFUL HE IS DOING THIS, my mother tells me not to press him to make a bunch of modifications or he might feel I'm not thankful at all and back out. I'm not going to ask for a bunch of things that I can live without, like external nest boxes or having him build roosts I can do myself, but there are definite things I would appreciate him doing. My plan is to print off a list of modifications I could use and include photos in the printout. I figure the less writing and more visuals I give him the less it seems like I'm asking. Maybe it will help make it seem more like a fun project as well.

My list of modifications are:

1) Including a pop hole raised a few inches off the floor to allow for bedding. I've included pictures of several locking pop doors. I also mentioned a lip on the human door so bedding doesn't come out.

2) Raising the coop off the ground by building it on legs or using cinder blocks. I explained that this would offer some quick shelter for the chickens in case of hawks or weather, and would also help with pests. I included a picture of a raised coop.

3) Installing a (supplied) window by the human door. I am asking that he install it backwards so that it opens from the outside. I will then cover the interior of it with hardware cloth.

4) USING (supplied) HARDWARE CLOTH INSTEAD OF CHAINLINK FOR THE VENTILATION FLAPS!!!

None of these, except for the ventilation flaps, are things included in my neighbors design. They all seem pretty necessary for chickens though, but my dad has very little knowledge of poultry and didn't realize predators were a problem at all. My dad pretty much said my neighbors design is fine as it is, so I am really hoping I can convince him to do these things. While seeming appreciative at the same time.

My dad owns a sawmill so he should be good on lumber but I am going to include as much as I can such as the hardware cloth, the window and possibly an old door I have.

And a request:

If anyone has a photo of a backwards window with interior hardware cloth could you post it? I'd love to include a photo even though what I'm asking of him is really self explainatory. Or if anyone has a better suggestion post a photo of that!

Last edited:
Yeah I didn't ask him to, but he does seem to want to do it. I think on some level he does enjoy a challenge. The only thing is I don't want to seem like I'm asking too much since he offered, but it seems to make more sense to do things during the initial building than doing it later?

I have no building experience. I really want to HELP him build it because I do want to learn. However I think he's building it at the neighbors and bring it over.

I feel bad asking him to do these things. If people really feel I shouldn't, I'll just let him build it as it is and try to do any necessary changes later.

Quote:
Wait, do you mean chainlink as in what a chainlink fence is built of? Cuz that is PLENTY safe.

Or do you mean chickenwire, i.e hexagonal meshes of fairly-thin wire? Which is less safe, but awful easy to say "hey dad, instead of just using chickenwire over the window openings, howzabout using something more substantial like 1x1" welded wire mesh".

1) Including a pop hole raised a few inches off the floor to allow for bedding. I've included pictures of several locking pop doors. I also mentioned a lip on the human door so bedding doesn't come out.

This is real easy, I should not think he'd have an issue with it. Just say "hey dad, could you please cut the popdoor hole so that the bottom of it is a foot or foot-and-a-half above the coop floor". If you do that, it IS a lip so bedding doesn't come out, you dont' need anything further. Let him build whatever kind of door, for the popdoor, that he wants to, and then you yourself can rig up a locking mechanism.

2) Raising the coop off the ground by building it on legs or using cinder blocks. I explained that this would offer some quick shelter for the chickens in case of hawks or weather, and would also help with pests. I included a picture of a raised coop.

This on the other hand is significantly more work and expense, and you might need to be flexible about it.

3) Installing a (supplied) window by the human door. I am asking that he install it backwards so that it opens from the outside. I will then cover the interior of it with hardware cloth.

If you think you really need another window, just ask him to cut and frame out an open hole in the wall, then you can put hardwarecloth on it and make a plexiglass (or plywood) panel that bolts or hinges onto it for wintertime. An actual WINDOW is a lot more expense and work.

They all seem pretty necessary for chickens though

Having the coop raised is by no means necessary. Indeed, a raised 8x8 coop that your chickens can get under can be somewhat of a problem, sinc eyou will have a heckuva time getting under there YOURSELF to clean or to retrieve a sick chicken or whatever. Its main virtue is that you don't need to worry as much about drainage/flooding issues, and it is automatically digproof as opposed to needing you to digproof the base of the walls in some fashion if the coop floor is dirt.

Remember that you yourself can do a bunch of modifications to the coop once it is built, if you want. Not raising it off the ground, but altering window coverings and locks and roosts and nestboxes and suchlike. Really. You can
smile.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

Last edited:
If you and your father get along good then I don't see a problem with asking him with the modifications. Be excited about the whole project when you approach him about the changes...excitement is contagious...he'll probably be happy to see you excited over the project that he's starting and welcome your input. Plus he'll see that you've been researching and studying up for the project. In the end I think he will be happier with a coop that you are happy with...with the mods.

Best wishes,
Ed

I don't think I'd use chain link for window covering personally. It's sturdy and a raccoon couldn't get completely through it, but could easily reach through it.

My grandmother lost her entire flock in one night to a weasel.

I in no way live in an urban area. I live in predator central.

My run is chain link, but in no way would I want a chain link window on a coop. I do get what you mean though.

I know there are lots of things I can do myself, which is why I'm asking what I SHOULD ask my dad to do. I have plenty of plans for myself.

I explained myself badly about the raised coop. I know it's not necessary, it's a preference. Since the lumber is costing my dad nothing but time I figured I could throw it out there. My main concern was if it would be a hard modification for him to do. He's completely capable, I just don't want to seem like I'm asking too much.

Thank you guys though for your help.

I had my coop built off the ground and regreted it. The chickens would all lay their eggs under it and also some of the ducks. They were really hard to get to and I also didnt often have time to wriggle under to coop to get them . Since then I have blocked it all off and it has made life much easier.

My uncle is a roofer and he just put a new roof on my house. Materials cost me a total of $1000. He charged me $0 for labor. In reality, out here I would be paying up to $8000 for a brand new roof...done right!!!

Not only did I bend over backwards to make things as easy for him as possible, I went out and got him a $1000 visa gift card so that he wouldn't feel like he charged me anything but I still felt like he was rewarded. I would have never changed things mid way. We agreed on color and materials...thats what we would stay with.

Like you, I wanted to learn, so I asked him if I could help. He let me do the stupid stuff like fetch shingles and get him water. I learned so much and I kept him from getting dehydrated!!!

Quote:
Thanks! We get along very well I just worry about asking too much of someone who is offering to do this in the first place. I was going to email him my plans, but I think I'll go over so I can discuss things with him and make sure he understands how appreciative I am of him doing this and how excited I am about it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom