Is this asking for too many modifications?

Ah, your dad sounds like my brother!
lol.png

1) I think it's reasonable to ask for the pop door modification since you are building for a smaller bird. If he squawks at it just tell him you want the pop door 20 tall then you add the 2 x 6 board at the bottom when it's done.
You can do the kick door boards yourself. If not you're handy with nails just use screws.

2) This is a modification that takes extra time so he may not want to put the time into it. You could make this the ONE thing that you really would like to change.

3) You can always just put the window in normally and the hardware cloth on the outside, which you can trim out yourself. Again, just straight cuts and some screws. I wanted to do the same thing but wondered if it
would hold up to the weather longterm. Windows aren't made as well these days and they're not made of course to keep moisture out from the inside. I'd ask some others about doing it this way.

4) I would just have the hardware cloth bought..."Gee Dad, I just thought this was what you were supposed to use. I want to use it now since I can't return it, I don't have the receipt." (eat the receipt so you're not lying to Dad).

I don't think he'd have an issue with anything except #2. I had some free doors for my coop but my brother said he didn't want to mess with framing out doors and didn't want to use them. I was bummed, but I figured buying a couple of pre-hung doors was the price I had to pay to have my coop built, otherwise, for free. Also, if you tell your dad "This is the way it's done on BYC" it's like you're telling him that you respect others opinions over his. If you say, "I saw this like this and I like it, I don't know why, but I really want to do it that way. Could you please do it like that? I'll let you tell me I told you so when it backfires on me. hahaha"

I wanted my vents symmetrical. I'm very picky that way! My brother was mad at me. I told him that it was important to me, that I know it doesn't matter in the realm of things, that I'm uptight but can't help it...then I told him to do it however he wanted. I got frustrated and went to tend to my chickens. When I came back I saw that he had done it the way I had requested.

Remember to thank him for all the small details and any great ideas he comes up with. Be out there with him handing him the hammer and learning what you can from him. Have fun with it!

(edited to fix spacing)

Last edited:
First, I'd give him a BIG hug and tell him thanks and how much you appreciate his support of your project.

Next I'd say things like, "Hey Dad, don't worry about covering the windows. I want to install the hardware cloth there later on."Act like you're taking work away rather than adding to it. Does that make sense?

Quote:
That's only an issue if there is a roost within 12" or so of the window, though. If this (the model) is a turkey coop, I will betcha there is *not*.

Basically I would suggest, don't ask your dad to do anything that you can perfectly well do yourself, e.g. locks and window mesh and so forth. Not only is it polite and responsible, it will keep your dad happier too
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

The funny thing is that if I ask my dad not to do something, he probably will anyway. I will offer to do all the locks and stuff myself, but I'd rather he at least have the hardware cloth with him because chances are, it'll be done when it shows up in my yard! I'd rather it be done right the first time than having to undo his hard work.

The windows I'm buying are going to be from the habitat ReStore, so they are older and built stronger. I guess I'll just ask him to install the window however he wants and I'll do the hardware cloth myself. I liked the idea of it opening outside because that somehow seemed safer to me, but I guess really it wouldn't matter. It was mostly an aesthetic thing to be honest, having the hardware cloth inside would look better to me.

I'm feeling a bit like a spoiled brat, but I swear I'm really not.
tongue.png
Thank you for all your advice!

LOL, so at this point I've deleted everything except asking him to put in a window and a pop door. I'm going to print off a picture of a pop door just because he'd have no idea what I'm asking if I don't show him. When I'm over there I'll mention to him I'll do all the hardware cloth and locks. I'll ask him about the door, if he wants me to supply one or if he's going to make one.

Quote:
Thanks! We get along very well I just worry about asking too much of someone who is offering to do this in the first place. I was going to email him my plans, but I think I'll go over so I can discuss things with him and make sure he understands how appreciative I am of him doing this and how excited I am about it.
smile.png

Definitely don't email the plans...hand deliver them. Eye contact is very important and delivering the plans lets him see that this is really important to you rather than just a "ho-hum chicken coop".

As for the raised coop...that's what I'm planning. I've heard more pros than cons regarding a raised coop. One definite negative of a coop built close to the ground is that it gives rats a great place to set up housekeeping.

Ed

Something else...

What you need to do is *sell* him on the modifications that you want. Do this by listing the "Features" (those items that you want included) and then the "Benefits" (what these modifications do). Your father appears to be a person with common sense and who looks at things from a utilitarian viewpoint, if he sees the reasoning behind your desires then he will be more inclined to include those mods.

Ed

Draw up your plans, print out pictures of what you want, take a list of everything with you and take dear ole Dad out for a nice big steak dinner that YOU pay for! Include a nice piece of cake with that and you should have NO problems lol My Dad is gruff ole Man that I love to the ends of the earth, he helped us build our first TWO coops lol

Could you make this a father/daughter project? Tell him you want to learn how to build and ask if you can be his assistant on this project. That way you could do the little things (latches, etc). AND you get to bond with your dad. My best memories are of the projects my dad and I worked on together (and by worked on together I mean he did the work and I stood around saying "And what are you doing now? How did you do that? Do you want me to co fix you a Coke?"). Some of it did wear off on me though because I ended up with enough skill to build my own coops and runs. You know this won't be the end of it and you will want to expand some day. Use that as an excuse for dad to keep you involved.
You also might sit down with him and get his opinion on the modifications. He might have some really great ideas that you haven't thought about. It sounds like he is a builder, so he might just surprise you. I have found that my parents are very interested in my chickens and are happy to learn more about them. Your dad might be the same. So if you say, "Dad, what do you think about this window modification? I'm worried about raccoons getting to my chickens. Do you think this hardware cloth stapled to the window would do the trick?" he might have some clever ways of solving the problem that you might not think about. I know my dad is like that.

About the raising the coop thing- I have done it all sorts of ways. My first coop was up on cinder blocks and then I blocked up the under area so predators couldn't camp out under there. It isn't a problem for the grown chickens, but chicks in that pen can't get back into the coop until they are several weeks old and strong enough to flap up the 1' rise into the coop. The second version I did is raised the height of a 2x4. That one has worked out fairly well all in all. The third coop I designed from scratch and it is 2' off the ground. The chickens love, love, love being under that coop. It is also tall enough for me to put the food up under there so it will stay dry in rainy weather. It only becomes an issue when I am trying to reach something underneath. At 2' high and 4' deep, it means I am down in the dirt and mud crawling on my belly. Not fun. It is a trade off though. On hot summer says all the chickens stay under the coop in the shade so I guess it is worth it. The fourth coop is my silkie pen. That coop is raised a foot off the ground. Again, it is a pain to reach under it, but the silkies spend the better part of the afternoon lolling about in the shade. They love it and it opens up more space in the run.
All of that to say, figure out the reason you want the coop raised. If you can rationalize it and understand it is hard to get birds or things out from under them, then raise away.

Good luck with your new coop! We will, of course, want to see pictures.
smile.png

Thanks everyone. I am going over to his house at the beginning of next week to discuss everything with him. I am going to research a bit more about raising the coop. I sort of had my heart set on it, but I guess 8x8 might be hard to reach under unless it was high enough to climb under. I'll have to discuss that with him. The idea of putting the food under there didn't occur to me, but that's a really good idea, and I'll mention it to him. I'll discuss the windows with him as well.

Back
Top Bottom