Is this baby peacock a male or female?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by TearDropSoup, Jun 4, 2014.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'll try to get some pictures of my 7 week old boy. Not saying you chick isn't a boy, just wanna let you see some other pictures. :D

-Kathy

2. TearDropSoup

TearDropSoup Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2014
    Okay. thank you both for your help. It would actually be better if it were a girl because we already have a full grown male peacock and I wouldn't want them to fight. But all, the same. I'll still love her either way. :)

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]
    If you click on the photo then click on the original it will enlarge the photo so you can see the green in some of their necks, the female right below the pied is the same age as your wee pea the other 3 are 6 an 7 weeks old

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I agree with Kat,
    You said it stands like this all the time, unless it is cold i would not think it would stand like this.
    When was the last time you wormed her and what did you use?
    A photo with a pose like this has saved a pea more than once on this forum cause the owner was not familiar with peas [​IMG] so any time you feel your wee pea is not feeling well take a photo and post it with your concerns [​IMG]

5. TearDropSoup

Jun 4, 2014
    This peacock had just got done choking on a banana. Gave me the scare of my life. Maybe that's why?

6. TearDropSoup

Jun 4, 2014
    And it was also raining at the time, it was a little wet. So he might have also been cold too.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Know we're not picking on you, we're really just concerned. Last time someone posted a similar picture that peahen was dead in a few hours. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying she/he is sick or is about to die, just saying the if she/he were mine I would weigh her/him daily and if I didn't see at 7-12% gain per day I'd be concerned.

-Kathy

8. AnimalsRmyLife

AnimalsRmyLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2013
    Idaho

Well, whichever gender Majora is, s/he's a cutie!! [​IMG]

9. TearDropSoup

Jun 4, 2014
    Yes, I know. I would weigh him/her if I had a scale, but he/she never usually stands that way.

10. bowden farm

bowden farm New Egg

Oct 10, 2014
    North East Texas
    [​IMG]
    Hey! New here..we bought our baby peacock not knowing anything about it but we were told it was a male. We've had "him" for 3 months now. And we are starting to wonder if he is actually a she.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by