1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is this bad?????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken rock, Feb 26, 2012.

1. chicken rock

chicken rock New Egg

Feb 19, 2012
    hello my two chickens have layed eggs in the same nesting box will they fight to get in and sit on the eggs or not ?​

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Welcome to BYC!

That depends. Are they both broody? Are you leaving the eggs there because you are hoping they will hatch them?

If they are just sharing a nest box to lay eggs in, that's no big deal at all.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I've got two or three who lay together, and about 12 hens who insist on lining up to use that same box. When this happens, the "we are ONE flock" "We MUST lay together" mentality takes over and there is no known cure. [​IMG]

4. chicken rock

chicken rock New Egg

Feb 19, 2012
    ohhhhh ok thank you[​IMG]

5. ya, its just cause theuy are strange, our hens do the same but lay and different times so dont nee to fight over it *phew*

6. If I were you, I would separate them ASAP. Two of my mutt hens laid in the same nest box and they got along fine, no fighting or anything. BUT they ended up breaking 75% of their eggs and the rest didn't hatch.So I would deposit some eggs in another nest and then move one hen, if she tries to go back to her old nest, take her out and put her in the new one...

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I have a large plastic dog house in one of the open coops and the girls make a beautiful nest in the corner and 4-5 of them share that very same spot with no problems. If someone decides to go broody, who knows?

8. chicken rock

chicken rock New Egg

Feb 19, 2012
    ok i will try all of these ideas. thanks i will try to separate because the older one hits the younger hen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by