Is this bad?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shari6083, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Shari6083

Shari6083 New Egg

Jul 11, 2013
    I have one chicken whose eggs consistently look like the picture. I think it is blood that is speckled on it but I'm not sure...it does wash off. I don't know which of my seven chickens is doing this. Should I worry? Do anything?
    [​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think this a cause for any concern I had a wyandotte that layed eggs with specks all the time.

3. Chickery Chick

Chickery Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2013
    My RR hens layed eggs like that all the time. Never had a problem.

4. imtrying

imtrying Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2012
    is there something different about the speckles than a normal speckled egg? it doesn't look like blood to me. it looks like a normal speckled egg (eg..welsummer, marans, etc., etc). several breeds can/do lay speckled eggs. a couple are famous for it - - the welsummer.

5. Shari6083

Shari6083 New Egg

Jul 11, 2013
    Thanks ladies! Well it washes off with a little scrub brush, so the only thing I could think of was blood. Although it doesn't really look like blood...I really don't know what it is. Sounds like I don't need to worry. [​IMG]

6. imtrying

imtrying Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2012
    regular "speckles" will wash off - - you can wash the brown off a marans egg.

it isn't part of the shell. it's a coating.

egg shells only come in two colors - white and blue.

7. Shari6083

Shari6083 New Egg

Jul 11, 2013
    Thanks! That's good to know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by