Is this Barred Rock a Roo ?? Need to know before I give it away !!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tabschickens, Jul 28, 2010.

1. tabschickens

tabschickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Maine
    This BR is really confusing me. I need to know if it's a pullet or roo before I give it away.... cause if it's a pullet I am going to keep her....
    I have thought it was a pullet for the past few months but the other morning I heard and saw her do the "start" of a cockadoodledoo..... but the rooster was doing his thing so maybe she was just imitating him ??? She is a bossy pullet and bigger than my leghorns by ALOT. They are all 3.5/14wks old right now.

Thanks for you help !! [​IMG] It's really appreciated !

I uploaded pics to my profile but can't figure out how to post them in this topic.
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Cock a doodle doo [​IMG]

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Looks like a pullet, to me.

4. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    Roo.

5. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Hi, If she/he is only 14 weeks old and had a comb and wattles like that, It's a boy. I have 17 and 18 week olds and they barely have anything. If I had to take a guess based on your picture, age, and my pullets its a ROO! Sorry [​IMG]

6. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    i vote roo

7. tabschickens

tabschickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Maine
    Man it just breaks my heart because I love the two roosters the most.... they were sold to me as "straight run" I could keep them but I have been told that once hormones kick in they will fight because there are only 4 hens with them????

I also have 4 white leghorn pullets... and they are so flighty..... but the RIR and the BR are so friendly... and I thought they were bf/gf up until a few days ago... now it seems they are just two Roos hanging out all the time.

I bought them on Apr 16th and they were fuzzy little chicks. So they are only 3.5 months old.

This BR in the pics does something weird though... he/she prefers not to roost at night.... lays under the poop board... huddles down in the dirt/shavings and goes to sleep.... all the others roost

Here are some more pics :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  8. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    100% roo> you can tell my the saddle feathers comming in and look at that comb and waddles sorry>

9. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:I agree! That is 100% roo! He is going to be a looker...you might want to consider keeping him around.

10. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    Roo !!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by