Is this Barred Rock a Roo ?? Need to know before I give it away !!

tabschickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 27, 2010
Maine
This BR is really confusing me. I need to know if it's a pullet or roo before I give it away.... cause if it's a pullet I am going to keep her....
I have thought it was a pullet for the past few months but the other morning I heard and saw her do the "start" of a cockadoodledoo..... but the rooster was doing his thing so maybe she was just imitating him ??? She is a bossy pullet and bigger than my leghorns by ALOT. They are all 3.5/14wks old right now.

Thanks for you help !!
smile.png
It's really appreciated !

I uploaded pics to my profile but can't figure out how to post them in this topic.
Thanks

64157_starnbrie.jpg

64157_star2july.jpg

64157_starfullbody.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, If she/he is only 14 weeks old and had a comb and wattles like that, It's a boy. I have 17 and 18 week olds and they barely have anything. If I had to take a guess based on your picture, age, and my pullets its a ROO! Sorry
sad.png

Man it just breaks my heart because I love the two roosters the most.... they were sold to me as "straight run" I could keep them but I have been told that once hormones kick in they will fight because there are only 4 hens with them????

I also have 4 white leghorn pullets... and they are so flighty..... but the RIR and the BR are so friendly... and I thought they were bf/gf up until a few days ago... now it seems they are just two Roos hanging out all the time.

I bought them on Apr 16th and they were fuzzy little chicks. So they are only 3.5 months old.

This BR in the pics does something weird though... he/she prefers not to roost at night.... lays under the poop board... huddles down in the dirt/shavings and goes to sleep.... all the others roost

Here are some more pics :
64157_chickens_july_2010.jpg

64157_roosters.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom