Is this big enough?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by melodyrg, Mar 2, 2013.

1. melodyrg

melodyrg Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2012
    For my first week raising my 11 chicks I'm going to keep them in this. Does it look big enough to you guys? They'll only be in this until I fashion a 4X5 brooder out of cardboard boxes and duct tape, hooray for ingenuity! [​IMG]

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    That's fine for a week.
    Just make sure it doesn't get too hot since there is very little room for them to escape the heat.
    [​IMG]

3. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    I would cover the shavings with papertowels for the first day or two. They will have better traction and learning their food rather than eating the shavings.

4. Kay1993

Kay1993 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Hawaii
    You"ll eventually need something to raise the feeder and waterer a little... They kick up shavings like crazy. Have fun with your chickies!

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

11 chicks need room. There also needs to be adequate room for large waterer and feeder. The chicks will quickly outgrow the equipment and the space, as shown. There is also little room to have a warm spot and a cooler spot for the chicks to regulate their body temperature. It is far too easy for the heat lamp to make the entire tub the same temperature; ie warm!!! My only advice is to get something much larger within just a couple of days. But... enjoy the chicks!!! And, yes. That 4x5 brooder will work for awhile, but they'll even outgrow that in an amazingly short period of time.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by