Is this blood in the stool?

aquaponics3712

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 17, 2012
Bowling Green, KY
Is this blood? It is really small and almost looks like a worm?? I haven't seen any other signs of blood or anyone being lethargic. The 2nd picture shows the size relative to a pen.

How old is the bird that came from? It almost looks more to me like it could be shed intestinal lining. If it's an older bird you might wait and see if you see more of the same. If it's a young bird and you want to err on the safe side you can treat with Corid.

I'm thinking that that is just shed intestinal lining. Are any of the birds acting sick? If they are acting normal, it's probably intestinal lining. If they're droopy, it could be Coccidiosis.

So far I haven't noticed droopy. I was kind of thinking intestinal lining, too.

Would there be harm in using Corid as a preventative, just in case?

They have been under great stress from hawk and dog attacks this week. We have gone from 14 eggs a day to 1 or 2.

I don't want to hurt them, though.....and I don't want to build up resistance to Corid if it was ever needed for a serious outbreak.

Last edited:
So far I haven't noticed droopy. I was kind of thinking intestinal lining, too.

Would there be harm in using Corid as a preventative, just in case?

They have been under great stress from hawk and dog attacks this week. We have gone from 14 eggs a day to 1 or 2.

I don't want to hurt them, though.....and I don't want to build up resistance to Corid if it was ever needed for a serious outbreak.
The poop looks a little to slimy to me, add blood and I think coccidiosis. No harm in treating with with Corid.

I sort of follow the Amprol directions, but limit the lower dose to 7 days.

Amprol (same as Corid)
http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

The 0.006% dose for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
The 0.006% dose for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

The moderate outbreak dose 0.012% for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon.
The moderate outbreak dose 0.012% for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

The severe outbreak dose 0.024% for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons
The severe outbreak dose 0.024% for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

-Kathy

That's what I will do!
Is there a withdrawal period for eggs? (The few I am actually getting.)
hmm.png

This is what I found regarding egg withdrawal!

So it looks like I am good to go! YAY!

"Corid survivor here too. Corid is simply a thiamin blocker, while I do not know at what concentration it gets deposited in the eggs, the reality is that you'd have to be an egg eating machine to eat enough eggs to even possibly cause a need for you to take a few B vitamins to counteract whatever might be in the eggs! Also, being that the normal course of treatment with Corid is only 5 to 7 days I really don't see it being humanly possible to consume enough eggs to cause a deficiency. Personally it's not something I am remotely concerned about."

Back
Top Bottom