is this Brooder okay for 15 baby chicks until older? New to chickens

I have not taken the temperature yet however I do believe I need to lower the heat lamp because it did not seem warm enough for them.

Thank you !! I honestly didn’t think of that it going to fix that up today. As for the lid, no I don’t but I can maybe lay some chicken wire on top, do you think that would be okay?
Chicken wire with the standard 1 inch holes is too large - chicks can squeeze through. And the edges are SHARP so it’s super annoying to deal with. Window screen fabric is cheap and would work better. Just need to make a cardboard and duct tape frame or other way to attach it but still be able to open it up. I have also used a dog kennel door with mesh firmly attached on the inside - you can “sew”/tie it on with dental floss to avoid and gaps where chicks could get stuck.

Edit - not a dog kennel door. The divider panel that comes with large crates. Sorry about that.

Window screen fabric is cheap and would work better. Just need to make a cardboard and duct tape frame or other way to attach it but still be able to open it up.
x2. Window screening would work with a frame as mentioned, or I've done a hardware cloth with cardboard frame as a lid. Need to be secured down enough that a jumping chick can't knock it off (or worse yet, into the heat lamp and catch fire)

Back
Top Bottom