Is this bullying and if so, how do I stop it?

Pics
Feb 14, 2021
Arkansas
I have two chickens who look like they've been plucked. This one is Avi:

IMG_7607.JPG

I saw no mites. About four months ago, I had too many roosters, and they damaged the hens feathers. I sold three, and now there is only one with the hens. I thought the feathers would grow back, but the damage kept getting worse on two of them. I was working on getting a cage ready to put the one rooster in to see if feathers would start growing back on the hens. But I discovered Banshee looking like this today. She's scared of all the other hens now, and she acted as if she hadn't had water or food since this morning when I let them out of the house and into their run:

IMG_7759.JPG

IMG_7761.JPG

Is this bullying? And how do I stop it? Also, is the one wound infected? If so, what do I do about it? I've treated infected wounds in feral cats before, and I have the antibiotics left over from that. Should I give it? The cat was about 5 pounds, and the chicken is about 5 pounds.

I tried several different aprons before finding one that stayed on and in place without restricting movement. I would highly recommend the Down Under Outdoors Premium Chicken Saddle, available on Amazon for $12.99. Avoid all the cute ones that don't work. I spent a small fortune trying the more fashionable variety and none of them stayed on or seemed safe.

He was hell on wheels, for sure. Beautiful. Attitude and too spare. The dog was about 30 pounds, he was 3. As you say, dog not a fan! Roosters are all testosterone, no brain.
All testosterone, but SOME brain, and a lot of love, which is why I keep this one. 😂

**His trick starts somewhere around the 30-second mark. I was just proving how he follows me first.

Oh my :loveYep, total keeper.
Yesssss. :love

When I hatched out chicks last year, I hoped to have at least one rooster who would be a sweetheart and love me. I got him. (LeeLee and Bae are sweet too, but Bae doesn't jump for me and LeeLee... hasn't learned to do it ONLY on command, so I regularly get hit by a flying rooster when I'm not paying attention. :lau)

I tried several different aprons before finding one that stayed on and in place without restricting movement. I would highly recommend the Down Under Outdoors Premium Chicken Saddle, available on Amazon for $12.99. Avoid all the cute ones that don't work. I spent a small fortune trying the more fashionable variety and none of them stayed on or seemed safe.

Sad I can't find this anywhere other than Amazon... (I can't order from there. May have to make it so I can soon...)

Is she maybe the roosters favorite? a lot of times a rooster will pick a favorite among all the hens and she gets overbred a lot, it happened to my hens and I had to separate her to let her heal. If he gets up on her a lot he could knock the feathers off and if the other hens see a bald spot like that they typically peck at it and make it worse. That could explain why she would be afraid of them. If you keep her with the i would suggest spraying her with blu kote or making a homeade version of it if no feed stores are open, it would at least keep them from pecking her as much.

Could be beak marks, or rooster claws. Have you tried a "hen saddle"? It covers the girls backs so that the roosters do not scratch them. The feathers lost will not grow back until she molts. Then she will shed her old feathers and grow new ones.
I rub some Neosporin cream on them, it helps. Do not use any with pain killer, just cheap generic triple antibiotic cream is best.

Back
Top Bottom