Is this bumble foot? !

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pipthepeep, Jul 25, 2014.

1. pipthepeep

pipthepeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    My roo has a swollen toe, missing the nail, with a large black scab on the end (see pics), walking fine, not sensitive to the touch. How do I know if it is a scab vs bumble foot? Everything I read about bumble foot only discusses the scab on the bottom of the foot, but can it also present like this? Come to think of it, my little guy has been missing several toe nails for a while but he has never had any signs of trauma before. I soaked his foot in betadine this morning and slathered some neosporin on it, but if wasn't sure what else to before knowing if it actually is bumble foot. This rooster is my baby ( Literally! I hatched him from an egg when he was orphaned) and I hate the thought of anything being wrong with him... Any advice would be appreciated:(

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
  3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Looks like you have had him for awhile so is he a fighter or been fighting with another as my Molted Houdan Rooster tore off his nail doing just that with the guinea's ya he did not win or the out come was not what he desired .....

If you can get him to stand in some Epsom-salt for a couple of minutes every day for a week that is what worked for my Rooster and I also had to make him his own run area as he really don't play well with others ....

He will recover and keep us updated on his progress ....+

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  4. pipthepeep

Aug 19, 2010
    Thanks for the quick responses! I actually had read that site on bumblefoot last night while I was doing research- it is definitely very informative, I just was hoping that wasn't what I was dealing with:( Do you think I should start him on systemic antibiotics? I have water soluble oxytet that I had been using on a hen w a severe injury, would that be useful? I don't have access to a vet.

5. gander007

It is not going to hurt him and will help heal him up so yes go for it .........

Keep us updated on his recovery .....

6. pipthepeep

Aug 19, 2010
    Thanks so much for the help...I do have two more questions: 1) If it looks like I have to dig out the infection, because it is on the end of his toe where he is missing the nail, would I go in from the bottom of his foot like in the bumblefoot video, or would I dig from the back, where the scab is? It seems like going from where the scab is would be very difficult because the scab basically is taking up his whole toe in that area? 2) Are there any tips for wrapping the toe area? I know how to wrap a foot between the toes, but I cant for the life of me figure out how I am going to get a bandage to stay on wrapped around that back toe...if anyone has pictures of a wrap job including toe, I would really appreciate it. Thanks:)

7. gander007

Alright hold on for a minute what is all this talk about cutting on his toe nothing in the photos indicate any such reason for this at all he will heal on his own just give the old man a chance and a little time ....

Is he limping if no you don't have much of a problem .....

Soak him in some Epson salt at most or lightly rub some ACV on his feet but why put this guy in pain for no needed reason ?????????

8. pipthepeep

Aug 19, 2010
    I was under the impression that the only way to remove the abscess and swelling from bumblefoot is to remove the infection with the gross cheesy pus that causes the abscess? But if it's not bumblefoot, then obviously I don't want to put him through anything unnecessary. The toe doesn't reach the ground so I wouldn't think he would be limping even if it was sensitive unless it spreads to the rest of his foot... It does feel hot to the touch and is very swollen. I was planning to do an Epsom salt soak for the next few days, try to get a good look at the scab and soften it up, spray some vetericyn, and try to wrap it up. I will do this every day, but if it doesn't help, I want to be as prepared as possible in case the abscess does need to be removed.... I just don't want to find myself in an emergency panic situation if the swelling continues to get worse, I want to do all my research before hand and hope it doesn't come to that!

9. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    The most important thing you have to do with bumblefoot is to get to and remove the 'kernel' .. it's like the core of the problem. Yes, there'll be lots of pus and gunk that will come out, too, but you need to remove the kernel for it to be successful...JMHO.

10. pipthepeep

Aug 19, 2010
    I'm thinking if I have to remove the kernel, using a biopsy punch is the way to go bc the location seems a bit delicate ( aka awkward). I'm going to order one today, hope I don't have to use it, and in the meantime soak in Epsom salts and wrap it. I have a feeling it's going to take some practice to get a bandage to cover the end of that back toe!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by