Is this Bumblefoot? Help! No weight-bearing after injury

hhurrell

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2019
Hello! My >1 year old female pekin duck hurt her leg last week when she got tangled in some briars. I tended to her wounds day-of and they seem to be healing nicely, but one week later and she still won't put weight on it and it sits out to the side. The toes are very swollen and she refuses to move the leg, even in water (might be broken toe?). Her Achilles is still attached and functional so it is not a slipped tendon, but I am wondering if it might be Bumblefoot. Her wounds are all scabbed over and healing nicely, but the swelling is still there, and there is no telltale big black scab. We have had her legs wrapped with a figure eight to keep the leg from splaying more, as well as doing intensive physical therapy with her, and yesterday she tried to take a couple steps on it which was good. We have her on round-the-clock baby aspirin for the swelling and pain, as well as vitamin supplements and manganese supplements. We have her separated in a pen in our heated garage. Based on her hesitance though, I am still wondering if it might be Bumblefoot and if I should go through with a course of antibiotics. I have never had a problem with Bumblefoot in any of my ducks, so I am no expert on diagnosing it. I have attached pictures of her feet and if anyone could tell me if this looks like Bumblefoot, that would be greatly appreciated.
THANK YOU!!!
IMG_3024.jpeg
IMG_3028.jpeg
IMG_3029.jpeg
IMG_3030.jpeg
IMG_3031.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7624.PNG
    IMG_7624.PNG
    4.3 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I can't see bumble but since it was briars could there be a sticker in there. You know how a splinter can cause inflammation and pain possibly there is some stickers in her skin? Possibly soak her foot in some warm Epsom salt water and while it's soaking run your finger all over the area and see if you can feel anything.

:welcome

I can't see bumble but since it was briars could there be a sticker in there. You know how a splinter can cause inflammation and pain possibly there is some stickers in her skin? Possibly soak her foot in some warm Epsom salt water and while it's soaking run your finger all over the area and see if you can feel anything.

:welcome
I soaked in epsom salt day-of and didn't feel anything. Wounds are pretty much smoothed over. Didn't feel prickers or anything abnormal. Not even a temperature difference between that foot and the normal one. I'll give her another soak and see if maybe something has come up.

With us human they eventually work their way to the surface. You say she was caught in them. Was she struggling to get out? she may have injured her foot. The swelling is worrying and could be an injury. I'd continue to soak in the warm ES water. Because it can help with swelling and inflammation.

Today the webbing between her toes seems to be stiff, her beak has lost color, and she has lost her appetite. Any hopes on a diagnosis with these new symptoms or is she just starting to give up?

Is a vet an option? Some kind of infection mayb
How’s she doing today?

She's doing okay today. Took a few assisted steps but still won't weight bear. We brought her a friend for a little while today for some moral support because it doesn't seem like anything super contagious, and that seemed to help her a little bit to boost her spirits. Her joints in her hurt leg are super stiff, so I am thinking some meloxicam might help.

I read that preparation H actually helps bring down the swelling and tried that and this morning her foot is so much less swollen and much more mobile. However, I fear she's on her way out. She seems a little listless and keeps laying her head down and has no interest in food or water, so I did a Nutri-drench this morning hoping that would perk her up. Is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable?

Back
Top Bottom