Is this bumblefoot? What to do, hen limps very badly!

The uterus is about 2 inches back from the vent so unless she is straining or can't poop, she may be preparing an egg to lay.
She isn't straining, but i felt that to when i was checking her earlier, like 7-6 hours ago. + swollen and a bit hard abdomen (at least i think it is, other hen had different one in touch)

150 cm is about 4 feet 11 1⁄16 inches, so maybe a bit higher
This is a bit high for roost bars, at least for my heavy birds. My bars are about 15 inches off the floor. Heavy breeds need low bars so they don't injure themselves jumping or flying into something.

She isn't straining, but i felt that to when i was checking her earlier, like 7-6 hours ago. + swollen and a bit hard abdomen (at least i think it is, other hen had different one in touch)
Keep an eye on her, if she hasn't laid this egg in another 12 hours you might soak her in a warm bath.

This is a bit high for roost bars, at least for my heavy birds. My bars are about 15 inches off the floor. Heavy breeds need low bars so they don't injure themselves jumping or flying into something.
Mine aren't heavy. They are dual purpose and one leghorn. They've got a much smaller one but no hen has ever sat on it, maybe when they were new to the coop and young but they went to roost on the bigger multi-floor one.

From my experiene this does look and sound like bumble foot. I've had several chickens get bumble foot (salmon faverolles seem prone to it!) and it's a nasty infection.

An avian vet can treat it the easiest, but you can also treat it at home. I have found that it can take from one to two weeks of treatment for the infection to heal and that's because it gets deep into the foot (it's usually caused by a puncture wound). If the scab is small and there isn't any swelling then it's probably not a late case.

What I have found effective is to cage the bird separately in a crate or covered x-pen in the coop/run (or sometimes on the porch, this depends on wildlife predators and temps) so that you can keep the foot completely clean and treat the infection twice a day.

For one week I soak the foot in warm water with epsom salt (you can also add 1-3 drops of a good quality lavender essential oil) twice a day. After soaking I use paper towels to remove any loose portion of the scab and clean out any infection I can get out. Then I smear a dab of honey thickened with turmeric powder onto the scab and cover with gauze and wrap with paper tape (you have to wrap in-between the toes and up around the leg a bit so they can't take it off or get dirt inside it). I use the paper tape because it's the easiest to get around the toes and to get off later.

For the second week I soak, medicate and bandage every 1-2 days, watching for a healthy, clean scab or new layer of skin and no limping before calling it healed. I hope this helps and your bird feels better soon!

From my experiene this does look and sound like bumble foot. I've had several chickens get bumble foot (salmon faverolles seem prone to it!) and it's a nasty infection.

An avian vet can treat it the easiest, but you can also treat it at home. I have found that it can take from one to two weeks of treatment for the infection to heal and that's because it gets deep into the foot (it's usually caused by a puncture wound). If the scab is small and there isn't any swelling then it's probably not a late case.

What I have found effective is to cage the bird separately in a crate or covered x-pen in the coop/run (or sometimes on the porch, this depends on wildlife predators and temps) so that you can keep the foot completely clean and treat the infection twice a day.

For one week I soak the foot in warm water with epsom salt (you can also add 1-3 drops of a good quality lavender essential oil) twice a day. After soaking I use paper towels to remove any loose portion of the scab and clean out any infection I can get out. Then I smear a dab of honey thickened with turmeric powder onto the scab and cover with gauze and wrap with paper tape (you have to wrap in-between the toes and up around the leg a bit so they can't take it off or get dirt inside it). I use the paper tape because it's the easiest to get around the toes and to get off later.

For the second week I soak, medicate and bandage every 1-2 days, watching for a healthy, clean scab or new layer of skin and no limping before calling it healed. I hope this helps and your bird feels better soon!
The sitting hens abdomen is still harder than in other chickens and swollen and there was no egg (its morning here)

She was sitting next to plate with food so long and pecked on it, and todays morning the food was spilled so she has apetite (one of fattest hen of mine i think). I didn't saw her straining, and she doesn't walk like a penguin.

The sitting one laid an egg 20 minutes ago, it was wider in diameter than usual, shaped almost like a ball! I checked her abdomen, it was normal andthere wasn't anything hard in her vent! She isn't limping too! I put her in coop and the more limping one in isolation. Later i'll change the oinment in both of them and give them aspirin and vitamin d just in case! Looks like the sitting one had a problem with laying a larger egg. She's walking normally now. I'll observe if she sits or not.

Back
Top Bottom