Is this bumblefoot? What to do, hen limps very badly!

Pics

KranK

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Poland
My hen started limping today, or yesterday (today i think). In fact she's just jumping on one leg! She is trying not to use her leg at all. When i try to peek at it, she breathes heavily like she's very stressed and "closes" her fingers. There is a black scab on the leg. What should i do? Photos:
1613213625093.png

You might cage her within the flock so she isn't alone
Yep.

This is what I do for limpers:
If limp is really bothering them by inhibiting their normal activities too much, I will isolate them in a crate to 'force' rest for a day or two. Letting them out late in day, an hour before roost time, to give them a stretch and evaluate their mobility, then decide if they need another day and put them back in crate off roost after dark. Repeat stretch and eval the next day until they are better. Keep crate in coop so bird can remain 'with' the flock.

If it's frigid cold, some electrolytes can really help.

So sorry she is limping. :hugs The foot pad appears to have an old injury but doesn't look infected or swollen, so I say no on bumblefoot. I am inclined to think either she jumped off the roost bar and injured her foot joint, hock joint or hip, or she is suffering from the cold with a bit of frostbite. You might cage her within the flock so she isn't alone, give her half of a baby aspirin twice a day and bed her deeply in bedding so she can snuggle in and keep her feet warm. See if a few days if this treatment doesn't help.
Good idea with aspirin. And what about the scab? Could i use ichthammol oinment just in case? (Yesterday evening i've threw some old straw from nest (not moldly, but there was some dried earth in it) on the ground in the coop and all hens went scratching except her :(. The whole coop flor is now covered in dirt and some straw thata bit insulates it as i touched the bare point and the earthy one). What do you think about the sitting one?

Good idea with aspirin. And what about the scab? Could i use ichthammol oinment just in case? (Yesterday evening i've threw some old straw from nest (not moldly, but there was some dried earth in it) on the ground in the coop and all hens went scratching except her :(. The whole coop flor is now covered in dirt and some straw thata bit insulates it as i touched the bare point and the earthy one). What do you think about the sitting one?
The scab appears to be healing naturally so I wouldn't do a thing with it. Keep an eye on it though, I have a feeling it will continue to heal and fall off on it's own in a week or so.

The scab appears to be healing naturally so I wouldn't do a thing with it. Keep an eye on it though, I have a feeling it will continue to heal and fall off on it's own in a week or so.
Okay i'll observe her. Should i be letting her roost, or put her in nesting box? I;ll give her and the sitting one aspirin.

I wouldn't let the limper roost for a while risking jumping off and reinjuring herself.

I would also keep the bird that is doing a lot of sitting off the roost bars too. Lots of deep bedding for the ones on the floor to keep warm.
So i'll put them in nesting boxes. I'll check the limping one for egg bound in a while.

Back
Top Bottom