Is this Bumblefoot?

I have been lucky enough to not deal with bumble foot yet, :oops: I would search on this site bumble foot treatment. I think an antibiotic ointment would be better than prid but am not sure. Just make sure it Does Not contain the pain reliever in it My hen (pullet at the time) had a bad wound on her neck from a rooster. I used a mixture of betadine (iodine prep) and water to clean it and then put triple antibiotic on it, did this daily. she is the one pictured on my profile. and I would cover the wound so dirt does not get back in it. The red bum I am not sure on, my first two thoughts are 1. feather picking and 2 vent gleet? I hope others will also chime in and answer this for you. Best of luck, also do the best you can and don't stress. :)

I have been lucky enough to not deal with bumble foot yet, :oops: I would search on this site bumble foot treatment. I think an antibiotic ointment would be better than prid but am not sure. Just make sure it Does Not contain the pain reliever in it My hen (pullet at the time) had a bad wound on her neck from a rooster. I used a mixture of betadine (iodine prep) and water to clean it and then put triple antibiotic on it, did this daily. she is the one pictured on my profile. and I would cover the wound so dirt does not get back in it. The red bum I am not sure on, my first two thoughts are 1. feather picking and 2 vent gleet? I hope others will also chime in and answer this for you. Best of luck, also do the best you can and don't stress. :)
Thank you so much! The encouragement helps a ton. I’ve been soooo stressed out!!!! It’s always one thing or another and there is never a dull moment. I just can’t wait until we’re at the point of seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Today I saw another girl limping, just a little bit though. I’ll have to check her feet tomorrow.

Ok so....

This is what I did. I soaked both of her feet in warm Epsom's salt for 20 minutes. She really enjoyed it and her whole chest was resting in my hand. Then I scrubbed the scabs off and it bled. I was ready for the blood as I have read that it does bleed. I tried to squeeze to get puss out but nothing really came out except for the blood. I squeezed hard too. At this point she was getting really restless so I went ahead and put original triple antibiotic ointment on it. Then I covered it with non stick gauze pad and then I put another thicker gauze pad on top. I wrapped it with vet wrap and then a layer of duct tape to keep it from getting wet. I didn’t do it too tight and hoping I did it tight enough. So my question are: is there always supposed have puss come out? What are the next steps? How long should I keep the wraps on for? Should I soak and redo the steps again tomorrow? On the left foot there is a little bit of black. What’s that? I didn’t want to hurt her too bad so I didn’t really dig because it caused more blood and of course pain. If you have and input or helpful information I would greatly appreciate it. I NEED HELP!!!! PLEASE....SOMEONE....ANYONE....
I am so stressed and I don’t want to make her worse. Poor Tally girl.

Remove bandages daily. Fresh pictures please, and some once you have those wounds open again. Looking for anything that looks cheesy in them, and an extra pair of eyes per forum member that reads this thread will be helpful :) Don't stress. You rubbed her foot/feet hard enough to pop the scab and it bled. Bleeding isn't always bad, it can help flush a wound, and when the scab popped it may have taken the the whole infection with it. So, I'm looking forward to a fresh picture.

Remove bandages daily. Fresh pictures please, and some once you have those wounds open again. Looking for anything that looks cheesy in them, and an extra pair of eyes per forum member that reads this thread will be helpful :) Don't stress. You rubbed her foot/feet hard enough to pop the scab and it bled. Bleeding isn't always bad, it can help flush a wound, and when the scab popped it may have taken the the whole infection with it. So, I'm looking forward to a fresh picture.
Ok thank you! Yes I will definitely remove the bandages everyday. Should I also soak them and wrap them daily? I’ll take pictures after I remove the bandages and try to get a video of when I’m trying to squeeze the puss out. Thank you so much again. I truly do appreciate it.

Ok thank you! Yes I will definitely remove the bandages everyday. Should I also soak them and wrap them daily? I’ll take pictures after I remove the bandages and try to get a video of when I’m trying to squeeze the puss out. Thank you so much again. I truly do appreciate it.

Maybe take another picture of the red butt when she's on the ground. As long as her vent looks normal, the red skin below just means the skin has been exposed to the sun/open air due to a lack of feathers. I've got several that look like that with no issue. Other chickens are probably picking those feathers- they come up from behind where they're not seen, and they'll pull them out a feather at a time. Also, on the skin color- the couple hens in my flock that refuse to wear the hen aprons that have no feathers on their back always turn that color of red during the day - then at night it goes back to pink - so check her a couple hours after she's gone to roost.

If there's no real swelling of the foot/pad, chances are it's pretty well contained. Just popping the scab out (in the ones I've dealt with) when they're this size usually has a great outcome, the foot pad grows back with no bumblefoot re-occurrence. Just keep up the routine with the dressing and she should do fine.

Ok so....

This is what I did. I soaked both of her feet in warm Epsom's salt for 20 minutes. She really enjoyed it and her whole chest was resting in my hand. Then I scrubbed the scabs off and it bled. I was ready for the blood as I have read that it does bleed. I tried to squeeze to get puss out but nothing really came out except for the blood. I squeezed hard too. At this point she was getting really restless so I went ahead and put original triple antibiotic ointment on it. Then I covered it with non stick gauze pad and then I put another thicker gauze pad on top. I wrapped it with vet wrap and then a layer of duct tape to keep it from getting wet. I didn’t do it too tight and hoping I did it tight enough. So my question are: is there always supposed have puss come out? What are the next steps? How long should I keep the wraps on for? Should I soak and redo the steps again tomorrow? On the left foot there is a little bit of black. What’s that? I didn’t want to hurt her too bad so I didn’t really dig because it caused more blood and of course pain. If you have and input or helpful information I would greatly appreciate it. I NEED HELP!!!! PLEASE....SOMEONE....ANYONE....
I am so stressed and I don’t want to make her worse. Poor Tally girl.
Good job. You do it the way I treat bumblefoot, except I use a razor blade to cut off the scab, then I squeeze the heck out of the footpad to force out the infection.
Then I pack the hole with neosporin or triple antibiotic and wrap it up exactly as you did. Then I apply betadine to a small gauze to cover the packed hole, then the thicker gauze on top of that and wrap everything up with duct tape.
To answer your questions:
Generally, if there isnt redness nor swelling in the footpad, I dont do surgery. It usually heals on it's own. If the scab doesnt disappear on its own within a week or two, then I perform surgery. If you see redness and swelling, do the surgery.

There's no need to change the wrap/dressings until day 3. The footpad should still be clean and clear of dirt and debris, no redness nor swelling. However if you see both redness and/or swelling, that means there's infection in the footpad and you have to start over with soaking and squeezing etc...
If everything looks good after your inspection, reapply the antibiotic ointment in/on the hole and re-wrap it as before.
Remove the everything on day 6. The hole should be healed over with new skin, no swelling/no redness, everything's normal. Release your hen, she's good to go.
When removing the duct tape, use scissors to carefully cut vertically up or down the leg and in between toes, then you can gently pull it off.
As far as the black spot on the other foot, if there's no swelling or redness, leave it alone.

Regarding the red butt/underside; that is caused by urates in feces coming in contact with her skin, scalding it. You can use scissors to trim back feathers and fluff on her rear end, but NOT too much. This will give her a clear "shot" onto the ground.
As long as the weather is warm, use a garden hose with spray nozzle to spray off soiled butts. Then release them. It's best to do this in the mornings.
Apply Nu-Stock to the red areas and it will heal in no time and will prevent picking as well. It can be purchased at any feed store in the equine section. Shake the tube well and wear disposable gloves when applying it.
thnustock.jpg

Good job. You do it the way I treat bumblefoot, except I use a razor blade to cut off the scab, then I squeeze the heck out of the footpad to force out the infection.
Then I pack the hole with neosporin or triple antibiotic and wrap it up exactly as you did. Then I apply betadine to a small gauze to cover the packed hole, then the thicker gauze on top of that and wrap everything up with duct tape.
To answer your questions:
Generally, if there isnt redness nor swelling in the footpad, I dont do surgery. It usually heals on it's own. If the scab doesnt disappear on its own within a week or two, then I perform surgery. If you see redness and swelling, do the surgery.

There's no need to change the wrap/dressings until day 3. The footpad should still be clean and clear of dirt and debris, no redness nor swelling. However if you see both redness and/or swelling, that means there's infection in the footpad and you have to start over with soaking and squeezing etc...
If everything looks good after your inspection, reapply the antibiotic ointment in/on the hole and re-wrap it as before.
Remove the everything on day 6. The hole should be healed over with new skin, no swelling/no redness, everything's normal. Release your hen, she's good to go.
When removing the duct tape, use scissors to carefully cut vertically up or down the leg and in between toes, then you can gently pull it off.
As far as the black spot on the other foot, if there's no swelling or redness, leave it alone.

Regarding the red butt/underside; that is caused by urates in feces coming in contact with her skin, scalding it. You can use scissors to trim back feathers and fluff on her rear end, but NOT too much. This will give her a clear "shot" onto the ground.
As long as the weather is warm, use a garden hose with spray nozzle to spray off soiled butts. Then release them. It's best to do this in the mornings.
Apply Nu-Stock to the red areas and it will heal in no time and will prevent picking as well. It can be purchased at any feed store in the equine section. Shake the tube well and wear disposable gloves when applying it.
View attachment 1909210
Thank you sooo much!! That helps out a lot. I have one more question. Right now I have her in a little dog crate on my deck. My other hens I let free range on the other side of the property. Should I lock her in the coop over there so she can walk around? Or I could let her hang out in my yard but I have a momma hen and 3 babies that are almost 8 weeks old. They seemed interested in her when I had her in the crate on the ground. But I put her up on the counter of the deck after 5 minutes. So these are my options:
- leave her in the small dog crate on the counter of my deck.
-put her in the chicken coop on the other side of the property.
-let her out in my yard with the other momma and 3 babies ( this is where I could keep an eye on her close)
- let her free range with her heard where I couldn’t keep a close eye but that’s where she normally goes/stays.

I just can’t imagine keeping her in the dog crate for that many days. BUT I absolutely will if that’s what you guys think I should do. I just want what’s best for her and her to heal The fastest

Again thank you guys so much for helping. You have no idea how much I appreciate the response.

Back
Top Bottom