Is this Bumblefoot?

termeerchick

Songster
Sep 2, 2019
California
Hey!
Where do I start? A few nights ago one of my chickens got taken/eaten by a raccoon. Yesterday around 7:00pm I went to lock up the coop and I had two chickens missing. My original thought was that they were too afraid to go back in the coop because of what had happened the night before. I found one perched up on a stump and she didn’t look good. I thought she might be eggbound from the stress off what had happened so I crated her on my deck last night and gave her extra calcium and pedialite. Then today I let her out with her normal herd thinking she probably has to lay an egg. When I let her out I noticed she was limping a little bit, so I checked her feet. I tried catching a few other chickens to compare but it was hard. Also she has a bald but that’s really red. The feathers won’t grow in. I’ve been giving extra protein thinking that might help. I also have some Dr. Naylor BLUE-KOTE that’s a germicidal and a fungicidal. Should I spray some of that on her butt? Could this foot thing and butt thing be related? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

I’ve dusted them down with GARDSTAR Garden and Poultry dust about 3 months ago so I don’t think they have mites or lice. My father in law got me these chickens from an older man that couldn’t take care of them anymore. He said they were 3 years old and we got them about 7 months ago. It’s been hard trying to get them all 100% healthy.

Attachments

• 249929DE-7EC3-4A4B-A7B4-0E9EFBCB2FBA.jpeg
    249929DE-7EC3-4A4B-A7B4-0E9EFBCB2FBA.jpeg
    415.7 KB · Views: 38
  • ECEF4340-DD4E-4157-82BD-40DC9131CD65.jpeg
    ECEF4340-DD4E-4157-82BD-40DC9131CD65.jpeg
    308.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 753C3DA6-F885-4198-A713-71C44678B649.jpeg
    753C3DA6-F885-4198-A713-71C44678B649.jpeg
    288.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 5956D2EE-F554-46DE-9992-2AF7B4527BF1.jpeg
    5956D2EE-F554-46DE-9992-2AF7B4527BF1.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 34
  • F764E1B1-E9B1-46E4-BC6D-B3C7245A8D84.jpeg
    F764E1B1-E9B1-46E4-BC6D-B3C7245A8D84.jpeg
    398.1 KB · Views: 30
Looks like it to me. I have an EE who`s feet i`ve been working on for over a week. First time i`ve ever had to deal with a case of it, one ciste in the right foot many in left. Epsom salt soaks and PRID salve should fix her feet.
Awesome!! Thank you sooo much! Oh goodness this should be fun lol. It’s in the 90s here. Should I wait for it to cool down? Or do you think she’d like the soaking?

Hot here too mid to high 90`s same as every summer/early fall. I think my hen looks forward to coming into the AC for her daily treatments. PRID is available at Walmart and many other drugstores.

Bumblefoot can cause death from septicemia if the infection is prolonged, but from the photographs you posted it seems that you've caught this early enough to be readily treatable at home.
I'd recommend soaking her for 15-20 minutes in warm water with epsom salts if you have them. The temperature is correct when it's warm on the inside of your wrist but not uncomfortable. After her soak, take a dry rag that you don't mind getting stained, and dry rub the bottoms of both of her feet, one at a time; the hope is that the scabby part will pop right off on the rag so that you don't have to cut or pick it open. If the scabby part is still too tough, don't worry, you can soak her again tomorrow, and the next day... etc... Chickens usually LOVE this spa time. You should wear gloves to protect yourself from staph while pushing, prodding and poking at these wounds on her feet. Once you manage to rub or pick the scab part off, give the spot a gentle but firm squeeze, as if you were attempting to express a blackhead. A pale cheesy substance (chicken pus isn't liquidy like ours is) should come out of the wound(s). Once you have the wounds open, you need to get ALL of that pus out of there. Flushing it with water as needed to help you express the infection. If you leave any of it in there, it will fester up again... so double check. They appear to be small spots so 'surgery' shouldn't be needed, but if it is, they sell scalpels at feed stores that have a veterinary pharmacy. If you are forced into surgical solutions, then you may as well buy some antibiotics while you're there to ward off infection from the surgery as well as the original problem.

Bumblefoot can cause death from septicemia if the infection is prolonged, but from the photographs you posted it seems that you've caught this early enough to be readily treatable at home.
I'd recommend soaking her for 15-20 minutes in warm water with epsom salts if you have them. The temperature is correct when it's warm on the inside of your wrist but not uncomfortable. After her soak, take a dry rag that you don't mind getting stained, and dry rub the bottoms of both of her feet, one at a time; the hope is that the scabby part will pop right off on the rag so that you don't have to cut or pick it open. If the scabby part is still too tough, don't worry, you can soak her again tomorrow, and the next day... etc... Chickens usually LOVE this spa time. You should wear gloves to protect yourself from staph while pushing, prodding and poking at these wounds on her feet. Once you manage to rub or pick the scab part off, give the spot a gentle but firm squeeze, as if you were attempting to express a blackhead. A pale cheesy substance (chicken pus isn't liquidy like ours is) should come out of the wound(s). Once you have the wounds open, you need to get ALL of that pus out of there. Flushing it with water as needed to help you express the infection. If you leave any of it in there, it will fester up again... so double check. They appear to be small spots so 'surgery' shouldn't be needed, but if it is, they sell scalpels at feed stores that have a veterinary pharmacy. If you are forced into surgical solutions, then you may as well buy some antibiotics while you're there to ward off infection from the surgery as well as the original problem.
Oh my gosh thank you SOOO much!!! You are a life saver! I have never had to deal with anything like this before. I’ve also read that you put antibiotic ointment or that PRID salve on the wound once you have it cleared out of all the puss and then wrap it with gauze and vet wrap until it heals. Is that something that you would recommend doing as well? And then I don’t know if you saw in the pictures because it’s kind of hard to see but her but is fire engine red and bald. Do you happen to know what’s causing that? She’s had it since we got her 7 months ago. And I’m not sure how long she’s had it before then. Do you think this is related to her feet? I could tell she hasn’t really felt good the last few weeks. Let me know if you have any input. Thank you sooo much!!

Back
Top Bottom