Is this bumblefoot?

you are so very welcome! others helped me out alot when i first encountered bumble foot.. my chooks grew alot bigger than expected and i ended up with roosts that were too narrow which at least exacerbated the issue if it wasnt the actual cause. so i had many birds with bumblefoot at once. bumblefoot sucks for everyone involved but its good to know about (causes and treatments). despite how rough it can sometimes be it is less daunting after experience. we all just want our own and others' birdkin to be happy and healthy.

you are so very welcome! others helped me out alot when i first encountered bumble foot.. my chooks grew alot bigger than expected and i ended up with roosts that were too narrow which at least exacerbated the issue if it wasnt the actual cause. so i had many birds with bumblefoot at once. bumblefoot sucks for everyone involved but its good to know about (causes and treatments). despite how rough it can sometimes be it is less daunting after experience. we all just want our own and others' birdkin to be happy and healthy.
Yes, it is now time to figure out the cause! Don’t want my other birdies to get the bumbles, or for her to have it chronically.

Why do you recommend tea tree (maleluca) oil? Have you used it before?

From what I understand it it a very volitile oil and will cause potentially fatal neurological issues when used on poultry, cats and even dogs.
i appreciate your concern. yes i have used it for years. the reason i felt extr safe using it to begin with is because it is 1 topical and 2 underneath a bandage that is monitored so the chance of ingestion is extremely low.. also extremely unlikely to get on their feathers thus disrupting the preening oils.
i understand that there is alot of controversy around essential oils/ tea tree..and caution should always be used when takinf advice from others.. i m a big proponent of doing your own diligence/ research and deciding what is best for your situation.. i also deply value community support and tips from said community from thwir experience.

i personally have never seen ill effect from using tea tree oil how i outlined above. i have found it to be a powerful ally in combating staph..

ps. i suppose i should have mentioned to only use a few drops as with any essential oil for any purpose and hopefully obviously, not to pour a ton in the mix.

thanks for looking out though!

I put warm water and epsom salt in a plastic tote just big enough for the chicken and cut a hole in the lid (for her head to stick out) the second time one of my hens got a bumble. She stood in an inch of salted water, soaking, while I watched TV and petted her to keep her calm. The plug got super soft and came out easily. I put her back into the water and the epsom salt seemed to draw out more gunk over the next half hour.

I put Neosporin on a gauze pad and used first aid tape to hold it on her foot and changed it every day. It healed perfectly.

The first bumble I treated was like a wrestling match. I had to work the pus out and there was blood and feathers... It worked out ok but the chicken soaker was the better way.

i appreciate your concern. yes i have used it for years. the reason i felt extr safe using it to begin with is because it is 1 topical and 2 underneath a bandage that is monitored so the chance of ingestion is extremely low.. also extremely unlikely to get on their feathers thus disrupting the preening oils.
i understand that there is alot of controversy around essential oils/ tea tree..and caution should always be used when takinf advice from others.. i m a big proponent of doing your own diligence/ research and deciding what is best for your situation.. i also deply value community support and tips from said community from thwir experience.

i personally have never seen ill effect from using tea tree oil how i outlined above. i have found it to be a powerful ally in combating staph..

ps. i suppose i should have mentioned to only use a few drops as with any essential oil for any purpose and hopefully obviously, not to pour a ton in the mix.

thanks for looking out though!
Thank you! I was just curious, I have always been too afraid to use it on my own birds but I do see how it would be an option when kept under a bandage and diluted.

Tea tree oil is toxic to dogs and cats, even when not consumed. Dogs can get Tea Tree poisoning from just breathing the oil, or having it on their skin. I'm not sure if this is a concern to birds, or if its still toxic to them, but I would at the very least dilute the oil before applying. I'm pro Tea Tree, I love the natural antibacterial properties, you just have to make sure you don't cause any harm first. :D
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 7.02.50 PM.png

Just found this on Google, not sure I would use it on my own birds. Below is an article about Tea Tree oil toxicity in dogs and cats, and how they can contract it.
https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/is-tea-tree-oil-safe-for-dogs/

I put warm water and epsom salt in a plastic tote just big enough for the chicken and cut a hole in the lid (for her head to stick out) the second time one of my hens got a bumble. She stood in an inch of salted water, soaking, while I watched TV and petted her to keep her calm. The plug got super soft and came out easily. I put her back into the water and the epsom salt seemed to draw out more gunk over the next half hour.

I put Neosporin on a gauze pad and used first aid tape to hold it on her foot and changed it every day. It healed perfectly.

The first bumble I treated was like a wrestling match. I had to work the pus out and there was blood and feathers... It worked out ok but the chicken soaker was the better way.
I like this method of soaking. I've made a bucket sling than filled that with water, but you still have to wrap them in a towel and told them while they soak. Neat idea.

Tea tree oil is toxic to dogs and cats, even when not consumed. Dogs can get Tea Tree poisoning from just breathing the oil, or having it on their skin. I'm not sure if this is a concern to birds, or if its still toxic to them, but I would at the very least dilute the oil before applying. I'm pro Tea Tree, I love the natural antibacterial properties, you just have to make sure you don't cause any harm first. :D
View attachment 2841911
Just found this on Google, not sure I would use it on my own birds. Below is an article about Tea Tree oil toxicity in dogs and cats, and how they can contract it.
https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/is-tea-tree-oil-safe-for-dogs/
i appreciate you guys looking out about the tea tree issue. theres actually a thread here on backyardchickens titled "just another tea tree thread" that is really interesting, its from several perspectives and experiences.. i suppose due to the title there are several debates about the issue. the thread i mentioned discusses several applications of tea tree that i would never feel safe using! (undiluted in an open wound/gash.. albeit as a last resort... still makes me cringe at the thought) i assume some birds are more sensitive than others. breathing the oil in the air is a good point that i have had thoughts about in the past... considering the sensitive respiratory systems of birds and how oxygen goes into their very bones! though ive never seen ill effect in my very loved and cared for flock. technically the tea tree application ive used is diluted into the clay-silver-honey-crypto paste.. that way seems to be safe in my experience... i think the clay helps contain alot of the volatile oil from getting into the air.. though the whole mix (including oil diouted into the mix) certainly has direct skin contact.. im sure the mix without tea tree i still very helpful for those who want to use an abundance of caution.. i love the soaking totes idea by the way!!

I found a simple, effective and fast remedy for bumblefoot by using Blue Kote. I got it at a feed supply store but you can easily order it on Amazon as well. I’ve tried lots of other products and remedies but this works the BEST by far:

Soak your bird’s tootsies in a warm epsom salt bath for 20-30 min and then dry off well. Dip the tip of a clean q-tip into the bottle of Blue Kote (be very careful- it stains) and dab it just on the bumble (including any other area the infection spread to- like in the case with your bird). Dab several times (without re-dipping into the bottle) to ensure that the blue liquid soaks in well. Wait about 5 minutes to let it completely air dry and then dip the other side of the q-tip (clean end) for a second application. It’s important to let the product soak into the wound to address the infection. Let it air dry again. After it is completely dry, you’re done! No invasive incisions or bandages. I rub a little Vaseline on the legs to moisturize them because the epsom salt is drying. I repeat this entire treatment once a day, at the end of the day (just prior to roosting) until it’s totally healed.

The last time I did this on a friend’s bird, it healed in just 4-5 days! Of course it depends on how bad your bird’s infection is. But all in all, it’s an easy, non invasive way to heal bumblefoot. 😁👍🏼

Attachments

• 7004E4F6-A844-4F59-A248-0EF808AD1F28.jpeg
    7004E4F6-A844-4F59-A248-0EF808AD1F28.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom