Is this Bumblefoot?

quackerboysinPA

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 15, 2012
The other day I noticed a big callous on the "heel" of my 6 year old Pekin Paulie's foot. He has had callouses before that would go away, but I just noticed this one while he was stretching his leg out. It doesn't seem to bother him at all - he walks normally and he doesn't flinch or anything when I feel it.

He spends most of his time roaming in the grass or swimming in his inground baby pool. His large pen with his pool is mostly bare dirt now since years of him trampling has killed the grass. He does walk on some hard surfaces when he's roaming around - the gravel driveway, our patio and stone path, and there are two large stone steps in the pool for him to get out.

We have had a lot of rain yesterday so it's been damp.

Is the big callous bumblefoot or just a callous or something else? What can we do for it?

The last picture is of his other foot, which just has a soft bump of flesh in the same spot.

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Alli in PA, mom to Paulie (and Harold, now over the Rainbow Bridge)

I'd wash it really good and have a better look. My ducks seem to have really big calluses too, but not quite like that. I'm wondering if that's just dirt and not an infection?

Looks like it could just be dirt. If he'll let you soak his foot for about 10 minutes in some warm epsom salt water, you'll have a better idea of what is there. Love the avatar, btw :)

I agree with aoxa and ana. Wash it good and see how it looks then. Your ducks foot might just have dirty calluses. When my one of my ducks got bumblefoot there was a definate spot in the center of the swelling and there was heat to the foot in the area. After its clean and you've looked at it, also check it a few times for any heat in the foot. Just make sure that your giving the foot enough time out of the water to reach its normal temperature.

Thanks to everyone for their input! Paulie doesn't sit still and gets antsy when he is held so I couldn't wash it very well, but I wiped it with a rag and the brown stuff isn't coming off unless I pick at it a little so It might not be dirt. But it is not round nor does it feel like a scab.

Paulie is really active and I have no idea how we could get him to stay in one place long enough to soak his feet in Epsom salts and water!

If it is bumblefoot, should we just put triple antibiotic ointment on and watch for improvement? He has two little hard "corns" sticking out from the bottom of the callous.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for their input! Paulie doesn't sit still and gets antsy when he is held so I couldn't wash it very well, but I wiped it with a rag and the brown stuff isn't coming off unless I pick at it a little so It might not be dirt. But it is not round nor does it feel like a scab.
Paulie is really active and I have no idea how we could get him to stay in one place long enough to soak his feet in Epsom salts and water!
If it is bumblefoot, should we just put triple antibiotic ointment on and watch for improvement? He has two little hard "corns" sticking out from the bottom of the callous.
I really wouldn't bother doing anything unless he was limping or acting differently. My ducks/geese all have big calluses on their feet. No one limps. :idunno

Back
Top Bottom