Is this Bumblefoot?

AuntWrenny

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 7, 2012
What is making me uncertain is the fact that it's on top of his foot, in between his toes. I thought Bumblefoot appeared on the bottom.

The other thing worrying me is the mice and rats we have in the barns & coops right now. I'm trying to "take care of them", as an old mobster might say, but I was worried that this might also be from a bite. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Bumble foot is found on the bottom of a bird's feet where it has formed an abscess. They look sort of like calluses; they feel hard and typically affect both feet. These "calluses" can show up on top as well as on the bottom of the feet.
Soak the foot in epsom salt. Add a little to the drinking water. Really look at it and make sure all the glands are clean and it has nothing stuck in the foot.. Apply NuStock and repete twice a day.Give your bird a pretty large perch for grasping.

I had one just like that with a big bulge coming up between two toes. I'm pretty sure it was bumblefoot. I followed the directions for surgical intervention for bumblefoot except I went in from the top since so much was bulging out the top. Some pus came out and with gentle squeezing and tweezers a thing the size of a chicken toe nail came out, it was white with a black tip and looked just like the pictures from some of the bumble foot threads. That was a week ago and this weekend I rewrapped the foot but it is looking much better and the chicken is not limping anymore.

Note: I also went in the bottom too as there was a classic black dot.

Note: This is my first experience with bumblefoot and hopefully someone else will come along.

Note: I would definately try soaking first. There is another thread that has something you can soak in with alittle more ump than just salt, though I used Epsom salt.

Note this chicken worked out for me in a manner I expected and I feel pleased and that she will recover well and that the intervention made her feel better , BUT I have another one that I could not say that for....

I learned of a good remedy for bumblefoot at one of our local festivals this year - emu oil. We had a roo with bumblefoot, but unfortunately a predator got him before we were able to try it. I am planning on purchasing some to use on any future cases in our flock. I picked up their card so I would have the website: http://www.emumagic.com/oil.html. I like the idea of using this much better than performing the surgery as we initially did.
I hope this helps.

I think I even know where some Emu Farmers are in my area of southern Iowa. I know I see them every year at the Iowa State Fair. Maybe I'll check into that! (By the way, if you've never been to the Iowa State Fair, you need to add it to the "To Do List". I could go every day and be thoroughly entertained.)

I'm new to all this farming stuff and freely admit to being a "Stupid City Kid". Maybe it's my inexperience but whenever I've tried to wrap anything around a chicken it gets attacked by other "helpful" chickens trying to remove it. I hate the idea of making a wound that might be a pecking target if I can avoid it at all.
smile.png

I think I even know where some Emu Farmers are in my area of southern Iowa. I know I see them every year at the Iowa State Fair. Maybe I'll check into that! (By the way, if you've never been to the Iowa State Fair, you need to add it to the "To Do List". I could go every day and be thoroughly entertained.)

I'm new to all this farming stuff and freely admit to being a "Stupid City Kid". Maybe it's my inexperience but whenever I've tried to wrap anything around a chicken it gets attacked by other "helpful" chickens trying to remove it. I hate the idea of making a wound that might be a pecking target if I can avoid it at all.
smile.png
I've always wanted to make it to the Iowa State Fair - I grew up near the Iowa border. It took me 30 years to make it to the MN State Fair!
Our roo who had bumblefoot was a houdini and made it out of every wrap, even vet wrap, that we put on him. I hope the rest never get bumblefoot, but if they do I am going straight to emu oil!

Back
Top Bottom