Is this Bumblefoot?

branagh

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 2, 2007
Nova Scotia
Hi,

I'm wondering if one of my hens may have Bumblefoot.

Is this the condition shown in the photo? If so I welcome all suggestions on how to treat it.

Thanks!

Robert

5129_chicken_feet.jpg

Robert I am no expert as I am new to chickens myself. Usally on the bottom of their feet they have a lump with a black center scab. You soak that scab off and then there should be something that is solid white it almost looks like it is healing, it isn't there is stuff under that. Soak it in Ebson salt and make a slit in it and start to take out the stuff. Till a core pops out. They say that sometimes there are more than one.

I really don't know much about it as I have never seen it, I only read just stuff on this site about it. Do a search on Bumble foot and you will find tons of stuff. Can you get a picture of the bottom of the feet.

Good luck

Bumblefoot is a staph infection - please where gloves while treating/caring for this bird. It needs to be treated with antibiotics. It does look like it, but like someone else said, it is usually identified by the plug in the bottom of the foot.

Jody

This looks like when my chicken got bumblefoot - I noticed the swelling between her toes. She had only a tiny black spot on the bottom of her foot at first, but it kept getting bigger. I treated with antibiotics from First State Vet Supply (you can do a search on this site or google it ) they worked great.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom