is this bumblefoot?

danielleklock

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
I just bought 2 baby ducks and one has something on its feet. It doesnt look like bumblefoot from the pictures I have seen but I didnt know if it was the start of it.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes it does look like bumblefoot, but not that bad. Clean up the foot well and wipe will with alcohol. You will need to use sterile tools and dig that out of there. Dig and squeeze all the pus out. Then pack with neosporin, without the pain killer, and wrap the foot well with vet wrap. Not too tightly but tight enough to keep the gunk out. Squees the vet wrap around the foot when done to adhere it. Keep the bandages on and check it every day for one week. Apply the ointment and rewrap. Keep it clean dry and wrapped for about one month or until the scab falls off.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Ok. Thank you so so much. I have 2 adult ducks that I got last year and never had a problem with them so this is all so new to me. I am very happy that I found this site. It has been a huge help.

The one shown in this picture is walking fine. He acts like nothing is there however I have another duck that limps and doesnt stand well but there is nothing wrong with its feet. So idk whats going on with that. But I have been putting iodine on the bumble foot twice a day and its healing! I am very excited about that b/c I really dont want to cut its feet if I dont have to

You may need to add some brewer's yeast to their food, limping and leg problems if not from injury can suggest a niacin (B3) deficiency, and that is not uncommon from what I read here.

By "some," I mean a tablespoon of brewer's yeast - not baking yeast - in their food daily, to start.

You could also add 100 to 150 mg of niacin from capsules (not no-flush or timed release) to each gallon of their drinking water.

Last edited:

This is my ducks right foot after almost 2 weeks of putting iodine on it twice a day. This foot is the less infected one. But the infection is almost completely gone.

And this is the left foot. The infection has gone down some but this one is more infected then the other one so I am hoping that a couple more weeks of iodine and it will be healed!

Sometimes it has taken several weeks to get rid of bumblefoot, for us. And that is okay, with steady progress, caught early enough, as an alternative to surgery I much prefer it. But it does take time. Glad you are seeing good results!

Back
Top Bottom