Is this chick a frizzle? Plus thoughts on other chicks.

DemeterAD9

Chirping
Mar 21, 2024
Hatched this chick and 6 others 2 weeks ago. This one is from a barnyard mix and the list of breeds from the seller’s listing is lengthy. One breed sticks out to me and it’s a frizzle EE. The chick in question appears to have muffs but I am insure if it is frizzled or just has funky toddler feathers. Thoughts? I know it is still early but any guesses on gender? This one feathered out the fastest and currently has the longest wings.
C11BDBFD-74EB-4019-8084-327C91F01F57.jpeg
C6C31753-A087-45B1-B4B6-E6AC11BF08AA.jpeg
082BCA96-A240-4687-B46C-17A0B7BFECDD.jpeg
3152494A-E72F-43A5-9D29-D92004538AE9.jpeg
CDCDCFD1-5743-43CA-A0DD-859DC46B0A46.jpeg

Then there’s this chick with similar feather growth but not as funky.
BEC6EC1B-73D2-4365-B56D-94C5CFAA194F.jpeg
DF5610E6-AA3B-47FF-8CEC-CF905960DA1D.jpeg

And finally there’s this little one (and the other yellow chick) who are hatched out from “Araucana/Ameraucana Easter Egg Layers”. More curious about what color it should be called than breed as I know EE is pretty generic for any birds with muffs that lay colored eggs.
4D03B5D3-D564-4FBE-BC1F-67564A7A8170.jpeg
02275123-D16F-4BF4-B4A3-0E561AA81FBF.jpeg

Group photo for fun
2BC11476-20C3-4805-A646-F51B2AD3D026.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree with the others, and the last one will probably turn out patterned black and white. I don't think there's any real name for it, it's a mix of different colors.

Well darn! I know most would be thrilled to have frizzles but I don't particularly like how they look and worse yet I hear they aren't as cold tolerant as normal birds. Being my very first batch of chicks, let alone ones I've raised from egg to adult, they'll still get plenty of attention. Oddly enough the two frizzles are the most skittish of the 7. But man, what are the odds of getting 2 frizzles from a barnyard mix of 20+ breeds where only one breed is frizzled?

Is frizzle a dominant gene? I intend to keep a roo or two for protection and future breeding and if either of these chicks are roos and the gene is dominant then I'll have to either find someone who wants them or eat them sometime down the road. Of course it all depends on who is the nicest boy and I have another 20ish chicks I'll be getting in a month or so to pick from as well.

Well darn! I know most would be thrilled to have frizzles but I don't particularly like how they look and worse yet I hear they aren't as cold tolerant as normal birds. Being my very first batch of chicks, let alone ones I've raised from egg to adult, they'll still get plenty of attention. Oddly enough the two frizzles are the most skittish of the 7. But man, what are the odds of getting 2 frizzles from a barnyard mix of 20+ breeds where only one breed is frizzled?

Is frizzle a dominant gene? I intend to keep a roo or two for protection and future breeding and if either of these chicks are roos and the gene is dominant then I'll have to either find someone who wants them or eat them sometime down the road. Of course it all depends on who is the nicest boy and I have another 20ish chicks I'll be getting in a month or so to pick from as well.
If you breed one frizzle with a regular chicken, about 1/3 will be frizzled. At least with silkies, that's the percentage.

You don't want to breed two frizzles together though as that makes a frazzle. Some may be okay, but many have degraded feathering and heart issues. Some just die early for no apparent reason. It's just a good idea to avoid that.

I have a couple of frizzle hens, but won't keep a frizzle rooster. I've given away some gorgeous ones but just can't chance it as we hatch eggs here.

Attachments

• rooster frizzle 2.png
    rooster frizzle 2.png
    982.7 KB · Views: 2
  • rooster frizzle.png
    rooster frizzle.png
    1 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom