Is this chick a roo? I HOPE SO!!!

stacibful

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2015

Our new "fingers crossed" boy. He's 4 weeks old. I'm really hoping he's a roo so his daddy's blood line can carry on. Daddy is a RIR, momma is either a Buff Rock or a White Wyandotte. I'm thinking buff.

Here's his sister born a day apart

He's much bigger than her as well. Bulkier almost and acts protective of the other 3

With that big red comb I'd say you have a cute little dude there. So often people are disappointed their chick is a boy (because of restrictions) so it's nice to have someone view it as good news!

I really hope so!! I swear he's been trying to crow already. These are hatched from our own flock. Our RIR roo we adopted in January 2016 from another farmer. He's atleast 2-3 years old now. But we recently found out he has bumblefoot really bad. He's had it since we brought him home. We've been treating it but it's getting worse every day. Right now we're making him the happiest we can but the vet says it's past the stage that it can be cured. :( he's an amazing rooster. Lets us pick him up and isn't mean to any of the hens or babies. We adore him.

Sorry to hear about your current rooster. It's so hard when there's nothing more you can do.

Your (hopeful) chick's comb looks like a Wyandotte's but if your Wyandotte is white and your rooster's red you should've got sex linked babies. But a comb that red at 4 weeks has to be a roo. His wattles should start sprouting soon too.

Sorry to hear about your current rooster. It's so hard when there's nothing more you can do.

Your (hopeful) chick's comb looks like a Wyandotte's but if your Wyandotte is white and your rooster's red you should've got sex linked babies. But a comb that red at 4 weeks has to be a roo. His wattles should start sprouting soon too. 

It does look like the beginning of a rose comb which my wyandottes have. I posted another thread about their breed. I have two other chicks that are feathering in white and light brown that look like they have a rose comb as well. Very interesting!

Back
Top Bottom