Is this chick dead inside of egg?

Chealsecharm

In the Brooder
May 15, 2022
I'm having a horrible time trying to hatch. Seems like 1 out of every 4 eggs will hatch. I have a couple white leghorn/golden wyandotte eggs. The first one hatched right at 21 days, we are at 23 days on the other egg now and I'm pretty sure it's dead. I don't want to cull it too early but it was progressing just the same as the other one and now I see no movement. I just candled it and took some pictures but as i was turning the egg I did notice some air bubbles. Any help is appreciated! I don't want to leave it in there with my other eggs if it's no longer viable, although I'm not sure the others are going to hatch either as they are also at the 23 day mark 😕

Attachments

• 20220515_095847.jpg
    20220515_095847.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 20220515_095851.jpg
    20220515_095851.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 83
  • 20220515_095854.jpg
    20220515_095854.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 86
The embryo has died. The bubbles are from decomposition. Carefully discard the egg; very carefully so it does not explode/burst open; this would not be good.
Thank you! I will discard it now. I don't know why this keeps happening. It was alive and moving when I locked this batch down. I can't figure out why I'm having such an awful hatch rate and it's always after lockdown.

Thank you! I will discard it now. I don't know why this keeps happening. It was alive and moving when I locked this batch down. I can't figure out why I'm having such an awful hatch rate and it's always after lockdown.
What changes do you make at lockdown? The pictured eggs have been dead for some time; I think before you locked down. At lockdown no light should pass through the egg's shell other than the air cell. This is not the case with the pictured eggs.

Keep sanitary conditions when you incubate.

Wash the incubator and all components housed inside the incubator before and after use, always sanitize or wash hands everytime you handle eggs. Keep the area clean.

Your chances of hatching are greater when you follow these practices.

What changes do you make at lockdown? The pictured eggs have been dead for some time; I think before you locked down. At lockdown no light should pass through the egg's shell other than the air cell. This is not the case with the pictured eggs.
When I lockdown I stop turning, keep the temp between 99.5 and 100.5 and humidity between 60% and 70%.
The pictures are just from 1 egg from different views so people could see it 360°.
It was definitely alive and moving when I locked down at day 19 along with the other 2 that I'm sure are dead too, but they have brown shells so it's super difficult for me to candle.

Keep sanitary conditions when you incubate.

Wash the incubator and all components housed inside the incubator before and after use, always sanitize or wash hands everytime you handle eggs. Keep the area clean.

Your chances of hatching are greater when you follow these practices.
I recently super duper deep cleaned my incubator before I set this batch of eggs.
Always using hand sanitizer before I handle. Just seems like they're progressing all the way right up to the day they're supposed to hatch 😕

Back
Top Bottom