Is this chick deformed???

I would give vitamins with riboflavin or B 2. Dip its beak often in the water several times to get it drinking. Make a little watery chick crumble and water mash, and offer that. Has there been any pasty butt? What temperature is your brooder?

I would give vitamins with riboflavin or B 2. Dip its beak often in the water several times to get it drinking. Make a little watery chick crumble and water mash, and offer that. Has there been any pasty butt? What temperature is your brooder?
It literally will not walk or peck at anything. It takes 2 steps then rests and even when its resting and crumbles of food are around it, it wont peck at anything.

I've dipped its beak in the water several times, I've tried mixing the chick starter with water and tried to hand feed it but it wouldn't take it.

The only "food" item I've been able to get it to take was the egg yolk.

My brooder plate is somewhere between 75-85 degrees(based on other people's reviews on same plate). I don't have a tool to measure this but it feels really warm to the touch, not burning hot but not lukewarm either. My other chicks are fine.

I do not have b2 or riboflavin but my probiotic mix has vitamin d, vitamin e, and potassium.

No pasty butt just straight up white and clear poop.

It looks as though this chick may be sick or have parasites? Maybe coccidiosis? With the white poop and being so lethargic acting. The other thought would be Pullorum-Typhoid but if they got the chicks from a big hatchery that would be less likely as they test for that.

Some chick vitamins do not contain riboflavin, so check the label. Human B complex 1/4 tablet daily can be crushed in a spoonful of water and fed, or put in a bit of egg.
I went and got some nutri-drench and a thing of chicken vitamins that has the riboflavin and b vitamin.

Fed it a little bit of nutridrench straight... now am giving it water with the vitamins.

Hopefully it starts acting more lively. I don't have a whole lot of hope though.

I just got this golden laced wyandotte chick yesterday from Family Farm and Home. Its lethargic... wont eat or drink on it's own. So I've been hand feeding it egg yolk and hand watering water with electrolyte and probiotics mix.

Anyway I noticed this chicks body is significantly shorter than all the other chicks I've had and it just looks kind of odd to me like the body is short but the legs are normal.View attachment 3447109View attachment 3447110
20230328_200701.jpg

Here is another chick same age and breed from the same store for comparison. The little sick one is like half of a baby chick.

Hopefully, it will get better, but some chicks are weak, or they have some internal organ failure. Let us know how the chick is doing tomorrow.
Quick update before I head for bed.
My husband just got home from work a half hour ago and woke it up by talking to it and petting it with his finger... and the lil guy just started eating and drinking.

It's almost 11pm now and I have literally spent all day(since 8am) up close and personal with this chick trying to get it to eat and drink and now it starts. 🤦‍♀️😶

So maybe it'll live and maybe it still wont but I have a bit more hope now than I did an hour ago.

Quick update before I head for bed.
My husband just got home from work a half hour ago and woke it up by talking to it and petting it with his finger... and the lil guy just started eating and drinking.

It's almost 11pm now and I have literally spent all day(since 8am) up close and personal with this chick trying to get it to eat and drink and now it starts. 🤦‍♀️😶

So maybe it'll live and maybe it still wont but I have a bit more hope now than I did an hour ago.
Awe that is great news. Hopefully the little chick feels better and pulls through!

Back
Top Bottom