is this chick failing to thrive?

In the picture a few hours lol. No pasty butt! Should I clean it with anything? There hadn't been any blood
It'll heal up. Just keep it clean. That's good that she's young, it's not a prolapse.

In the picture a few hours lol. No pasty butt! Should I clean it with anything? There hadn't been any blood
I would not do anything yet. You could be exactly right on what it is but I would just watch it very closely at this time and do try to keep her inside and away from flies and lots of poop and other chicks if you are able to do that so that no more dirt can get exposed to it as little as possible if that is doable for you. Then when she is more stable clean it. I just want to make sure there is no more than navel attached to that. Maybe more expert folks can chime in here for you.

I would not do anything yet. You could be exactly right on what it is but I would just watch it very closely at this time and do try to keep her inside and away from flies and lots of poop and other chicks if you are able to do that so that no more dirt can get exposed to it as little as possible if that is doable for you. Then when she is more stable clean it. I just want to make sure there is no more than navel attached to that. Maybe more expert folks can chime in here for you.
Just a rough navel. It's all good, it'll dry up and scab over. I get at least one with a rough navel each hatch. They're the "eager to hatch" chicks. They hurry up and don't absorb everything slow enough. She'll be ok.

Back
Top Bottom