Is this cocci?

BirdBrain22

Chirping
May 30, 2022
Michigan
Just moved some new hens into the flock after 2 weeks of quarantine and one of my new hens is having bloody stools. Started Corvid treatment on all hens. Wanted a second opinion.
909E9DA7-7DAC-4BBD-B735-A38883AC6B23.jpeg

Looks like it could be cocci or regular intestinal shredding. It is stringy like when you pull it?
Yes, I didn’t pull this one but there was one last night I did pull and it was stringy. I thought it could just be intentional lining but this is the 3rd poop I have found like this. Is it common for them to shed intestinal lining for 24 hours?

Yes, I didn’t pull this one but there was one last night I did pull and it was stringy. I thought it could just be intentional lining but this is the 3rd poop I have found like this. Is it common for them to shed intestinal lining for 24 hours?
I've had it happen to me a few times. I treated with Corrid just in case it was cocci. One time I brought a similar poop to the vet and they said it's normal for chickens to have intestinal lining, and also a bit of cocci in poop to build an immunity. I would keep an eye on them if to see if they get worse, but mine were ok.

I've had it happen to me a few times. I treated with Corrid just in case it was cocci. One time I brought a similar poop to the vet and they said it's normal for chickens to have intestinal lining, and also a bit of cocci in poop to build an immunity. I would keep an eye on them if to see if they get worse, but mine were ok.
Thank you for your insight.

So my one hen is still having blood in her poop. This is day three of Corvid treatment. The younger chickens chase the older hens around and they hide perched on top of the coop most of the day. I added a new feeder and waterer. How long will this “hazing” last the older chickens are ver docile and don’t like the younger chickens chasing them. Is the stress on the older hens causing the bloody stools? I have the rooster in the smaller coop so I can’t really move them. All chickens are being treated for Corvid. There are perches and stumps for everyone to play on or hide behind. The run is 200 square feet. At night we have to put the older hens in the coop they won’t go in on their own yet. Im getting discouraged. 😕

So my one hen is still having blood in her poop. This is day three of Corvid treatment. The younger chickens chase the older hens around and they hide perched on top of the coop most of the day. I added a new feeder and waterer. How long will this “hazing” last the older chickens are ver docile and don’t like the younger chickens chasing them. Is the stress on the older hens causing the bloody stools? I have the rooster in the smaller coop so I can’t really move them. All chickens are being treated for Corvid. There are perches and stumps for everyone to play on or hide behind. The run is 200 square feet. At night we have to put the older hens in the coop they won’t go in on their own yet. Im getting discouraged. 😕
I don't know then.. is there a vet nearby? Or someone else here could know.

My adult chickens are only a bit over 1 year old. Integrating the original three with the other three took a few weeks. However, the adults have all left the broody hen and 1.5 month old chicks alone. I would be more worried if the hazing led to blood.

How old are the birds? Corid (amprollium) is very safe in case they have coccidiosis. Being new in the flock could have exposed them. What dosage are you using? The maximum treatment dosage that is good to use is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder to each gallon of water as the only source of water.

Worms can also cause blood in the droppings. Vabazen or SageGuard are both good for treatment of worms.
When I add new birds to my coop, I usually keep them in there 24/7 for a week, so they know where they are supposed to sleep. Make sure it is cool enough and you have good ventilation if you do that.

How old are the birds? Corid (amprollium) is very safe in case they have coccidiosis. Being new in the flock could have exposed them. What dosage are you using? The maximum treatment dosage that is good to use is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder to each gallon of water as the only source of water.

Worms can also cause blood in the droppings. Vabazen or SageGuard are both good for treatment of worms.
When I add new birds to my coop, I usually keep them in there 24/7 for a week, so they know where they are supposed to sleep. Make sure it is cool enough and you have good ventilation if you do that.
I had them separate for 2 weeks with no issues. Then I had them next to the big run in a smaller run for a week and let everyone free range a few times together. The rooster was getting too hormonal so we moved him to the smaller coop so the ladies could all get used to each other with out him. Our rooster is in a small coop/run right next to the big coop/run. The cocci or worms started after they were intergrated. Wonder if maybe my younger chickens have it but built up an immunity I’m not sure. I posted on my neighborhood page inquiring about a poultry vet. I feel so bad for these two new hens. The older hens are around 25 weeks the younger hens are 17 weeks. We got the two additional hens because we have a surprise rooster and wanted a better ratio. We got older hens to make the integration easier but it hasn’t made things easier.

Back
Top Bottom