Is this coccidiosis or something else? WARNING: POOP PICTURE

Thanks, hopefully now that they've eaten properly they'll recover more quickly. I'll let you know how it goes. I just noticed one has gotten a bit of a poopy but. Is there a way to get it off without soaking the whole chick? It's dried on and some parts are not coming off very easily when I wipe it. I'm a bit worried if i soak the chick it will get too cold. Cute chicks
smile.png

For the pasty butt, the best way is to hold just the rear end under warm running water to help get it off. Then apply some vaseline, coconut oil or something similar to help the poop from sticking to the down.

You can also try applying a warm wet compress to the the poo to see if it helps loosen it. The biggest problem would be trying not to damage the tender skin.

I see that your chick feed looks like a mix of grains? I would offer them some grit (crushed granite) free choice so they can grind/digest that more easily. I don't know exactly what you have available. A lot of people let their chickens find grit in the dirt (small pebbles/rocks).

I hope they recover soon.

Cute chicks:)

For the pasty butt, the best way is to hold just the rear end under warm running water to help get it off.  Then apply some vaseline, coconut oil or something similar to help the poop from sticking to the down.

You can also try applying a warm wet compress to the the poo to see if it helps loosen it.  The biggest problem would be trying not to damage the tender skin.

I see that your chick feed looks like a mix of grains?  I would offer them some grit (crushed granite) free choice so they can grind/digest that more easily.   I don't know exactly what you have available.  A lot of people let their chickens find grit in the dirt (small pebbles/rocks).

I hope they recover soon.

Thanks for all your help. The other chicks are all in the coop with a run and supervised free range every day with access to natural grit so I never worried about that, thanks for pointing it out. I just bought some grit for my broody and her chicks because they're going to be in a tractor on grass, I'll put some in with my sick chicks first thing in the morning.

Until today they were on a more finely ground feed so it shouldn't have been an issue yet. We don't get crumbles and mash here, just grains crushed to different sizes. We get pellets but only for older chicks from 8 weeks. I find they prefer the grain though.

Two of the chicks are doing much better. As long as they keep eating well I will put them back outside tomorrow. But the one still sleeps a lot and seems to be getting weaker if anything. Is there any hope she'll still recover? The sulphamezathine box says to use it for 3 days, and then give them 2 two days off. And if by that time they aren't fully recovered, to give it for 3 days again. They have completed the 3 days and I gave them fresh, unmedicated water this afternoon again. The medication definitely did work for the others.

The one that's not getting better has always been significantly smaller than the others. Now at 5 weeks, it's about half the size of the next one in size, almost 1 3rd of the size of the biggest chicks. Could it be that this one was always just weaker and that's why it's not getting better? Or had some other underlying problem from the start that didn't show before?

ETA: It's not pooping blood anymore, but it's poos are almost completely liquid now. The others are back to pooping normally.

Last edited:
Two of the chicks are doing much better. As long as they keep eating well I will put them back outside tomorrow. But the one still sleeps a lot and seems to be getting weaker if anything. Is there any hope she'll still recover? The sulphamezathine box says to use it for 3 days, and then give them 2 two days off. And if by that time they aren't fully recovered, to give it for 3 days again. They have completed the 3 days and I gave them fresh, unmedicated water this afternoon again. The medication definitely did work for the others.

The one that's not getting better has always been significantly smaller than the others. Now at 5 weeks, it's about half the size of the next one in size, almost 1 3rd of the size of the biggest chicks. Could it be that this one was always just weaker and that's why it's not getting better? Or had some other underlying problem from the start that didn't show before?

ETA: It's not pooping blood anymore, but it's poos are almost completely liquid now. The others are back to pooping normally.
I'm glad 2 of them are recovering nicely.

Since the third one seems to be smaller, not growing and improving, you may be correct in your assumption that she may be weaker or have an underlying condition.
She may have a genetic/developmental disorder that just be too much to overcome.

Do the best you can. While your waiting the 2days, offer her a litter yogurt and vitamins to see if that helps.

Keep us posted.

I'm glad 2 of them are recovering nicely.

Since the third one seems to be smaller, not growing and improving, you may be correct in your assumption that she may be weaker or have an underlying condition.
She may have a genetic/developmental disorder that just be too much to overcome.  

Do the best you can. While  your waiting the 2days, offer her a litter yogurt and vitamins to see if that helps.

Keep us posted.

Ok, I'll do that. Thanks so much for all your help and patience.

Mostly sad news today. Sleepy chick is stiff and barely responsive. She keeps leaving the heating pad and just lies there freezing. She won't eat or drink.

The other 2 were looking good this morning so I put them outside with the others. I checked on them a few time and they seemed fine. I went out for a couple of hours and when I came back, the one who wasn't eating properly before was lying on it's side, cold and stiff. I brought it back inside and put it on the heating pad, assuming that that was probably the end of it. A few hours later I heard some loud cheeping coming from the room where I'm keeping them. It was back on it's feet and scratching around looking a little weaker but like nothing had happened.

The other one is up and about with the others and after a whole day outside is still doing great.

The little one I just don't think it will make it, it hasn't moved all day and I can't get it to eat. And the other weak one I feel like I'm going to be stuck babying it for a long time and I'm not sure if it's going to make it. As I mentioned, the little one has always been smaller. The other one has always been scruffy looking. So I think these two weren't in great health when I got them.

I've never culled a chick before, and I don't know if I'd be able to, but these two are really not doing well and it's terrible to watch them suffer, especially the little one. Is it time?

Mostly sad news today. Sleepy chick is stiff and barely responsive. She keeps leaving the heating pad and just lies there freezing. She won't eat or drink.

The other 2 were looking good this morning so I put them outside with the others. I checked on them a few time and they seemed fine. I went out for a couple of hours and when I came back, the one who wasn't eating properly before was lying on it's side, cold and stiff. I brought it back inside and put it on the heating pad, assuming that that was probably the end of it. A few hours later I heard some loud cheeping coming from the room where I'm keeping them. It was back on it's feet and scratching around looking a little weaker but like nothing had happened.

The other one is up and about with the others and after a whole day outside is still doing great.

The little one I just don't think it will make it, it hasn't moved all day and I can't get it to eat. And the other weak one I feel like I'm going to be stuck babying it for a long time and I'm not sure if it's going to make it. As I mentioned, the little one has always been smaller. The other one has always been scruffy looking. So I think these two weren't in great health when I got them.

I've never culled a chick before, and I don't know if I'd be able to, but these two are really not doing well and it's terrible to watch them suffer, especially the little one. Is it time?

I'm sorry to hear they are struggling.

You have done very well in taking care of them. Sometimes no matter what you do they fail to thrive. If you feel like they are suffering, then it may be time to put them down.

All of us have different ideas and goals for chicken keeping - some are pets, some are considered livestock only (eggs/meat) and some fall in between the two. If yours are not "pets", then it's best to cull the weakest and focus on the strongest, this method helps ensure your flock is as healthy as possible, and if you are considering breeding in the future you only want strong healthy hens/roosters to begin with.

Whatever you decide to do, it will be best for your situation. I'm so sorry
hugs.gif

I'm sorry to hear they are struggling.

You have done very well in taking care of them.  Sometimes no matter what you do they fail to thrive.  If you feel like they are suffering, then it may be time to put them down. 

All of us have different ideas and goals for chicken keeping - some are pets, some are considered livestock only (eggs/meat) and some fall in between the two.  If yours are not "pets", then it's best to cull the weakest and focus on the strongest, this method helps ensure your flock is as healthy as possible, and if you are considering breeding in the future you only want strong healthy hens/roosters to begin with.

Whatever you decide to do, it will be best for your situation.  I'm so sorry:hugs

Thank you. I got them mostly for eggs, but as pets too. I am considering breeding them once every 2 years though to keep the numbers up, so if they made it I thought I'd tag those that got sick to make sure I don't breed them. But it is terrible to watch them suffer so much. The little one is cold and stiff and looks dead, but she moves a little when I touch her. I'm sure she won't make it, so I guess I need to work up the courage to put her out of her misery
1f622.png

I tried to put the little one out of her misery last night, but I stood there with her for half an hour and just couldn't bring myself to do it. She died during the night, at least she's not suffering any more.

The other one is lonely now but still doing well. She seems to be doing fine, but I'm scared she's not really strong enough to go back outside, as last time she almost died. So for now I'm keeping her inside and taking her outside for some fresh air and sunshine under supervision. As soon as she's eating more reliably and looks less scruffy I'll try and put her outside again.

The 3rd one has survived 2 nights outside now and seems to be completely recovered. It fell behind the others in size a bit but I'm sure it'll catch up soon.

Back
Top Bottom