Is this coccidiosis??? Please help!

Jul 31, 2020
So I’ve got a 4 week old vorwerk chicken who has has had multiple poos with blood/clots in it. But I also believe she’s done at least a few normal ones as well. I’ve added a photo of it below but it’s not the best example as it was onto fabric. She’s eating normally and running around and no one else seems to be exhibiting symptoms. I will add something that did happen yesterday that could possibly be the cause. So basically while she was pooping it got stuck coming out as there was a long piece of hay in her poo. She couldn’t get it off and I gently pulled it and she was fine. No blood or anything then. But I wonder if it may have scratched something?
These guys have not been outside since birth and we only have 2 teenage silkies who are living separately in our laundry downstairs. We’ve never had a chicken with coccidiosis in the few years we’ve had them.
I live in Victoria, Australia and it’s Sunday and I’m unable to find anywhere that’s open that sells it. I don’t know what to do. I can’t lose any more chickens. I lost all 8 last year to a fox and these are my new babies😞

Attachments

• 6871171A-A8E6-4439-87D2-2FC143F1DF72.jpeg
    6871171A-A8E6-4439-87D2-2FC143F1DF72.jpeg
    778.5 KB · Views: 11
So I’ve got a 4 week old vorwerk chicken who has has had multiple poos with blood/clots in it. But I also believe she’s done at least a few normal ones as well. I’ve added a photo of it below but it’s not the best example as it was onto fabric. She’s eating normally and running around and no one else seems to be exhibiting symptoms. I will add something that did happen yesterday that could possibly be the cause. So basically while she was pooping it got stuck coming out as there was a long piece of hay in her poo. She couldn’t get it off and I gently pulled it and she was fine. No blood or anything then. But I wonder if it may have scratched something?
These guys have not been outside since birth and we only have 2 teenage silkies who are living separately in our laundry downstairs. We’ve never had a chicken with coccidiosis in the few years we’ve had them.
I live in Victoria, Australia and it’s Sunday and I’m unable to find anywhere that’s open that sells it. I don’t know what to do. I can’t lose any more chickens. I lost all 8 last year to a fox and these are my new babies😞
Don't panic right away. If it is coccidiosis likely the rest of your flock will start showing symptoms as well. If a little damage was done while removing the piece of hay it will heal in a day or two. Coccidiosis typically isn't fatal in the first two days if left untreated. Hope that helps.

Alright so I can definitely confirm she’s done some normal poops as I just saw her doing one. I’ll keep an eye on her behaviour and everyones poops for the next few days to be sure

Alright so it’s definitely coccidiosis. She was fine until this morning when I saw her fluffed up in the corner. She’s alert and will stand up but is sleeping a decent amount. One of the others has a small amount of blood but is otherwise fine. We’ve started the cocciprol a couple hours ago for all of them. She wouldn’t drink it from the bowl and she’s too small for a tiny syringe so I used a qtip soaked in it and got her to drink some from that. She won’t eat but she doesn’t seem to have lost any weight yet. She was eating as of last night. I know it takes a couple days but I’m worried she’ll get worse and I’ll lose her. Is there anything I can do to keep her strength up? I’ve got some of the nutrient drops but I’m not sure if she’s allowed that at the same time.

Do not give any vitamins while on the amprollium. But do give fluids as often as you can. Follow the directions on the label for dosage and length of treatment.

Back
Top Bottom