Is this egg fertilised?

College Geezer

Hatching
May 19, 2017
Is this the "bullseye? Trying to get a handle on this whole thing... Thanks all.

Attachments

• IMG_20170522_182102040.jpg
    IMG_20170522_182102040.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 49
Hi all, Im a newby, I have six hens and a new found rooster in my hen house. they are all about 5-6 months old. 1 hen has just started laying she is an araucana, my rooster is a sussex. Ok my question is a bit of a predictable one, will my rooster and hen have chicks, what should i do and how will I know if the eggs have been fertilised. I dont know as yet what a broody hen looks like, please your advice would be very welcome

Click on the pic AmyLynn posted to enlarge it. Look closely where the arrow is pointing on the fertile eggs. There is a small light colored ring in the yolk. That is the bullseye.

Clucky, The rooster will fertilize the eggs, if he's fertile, and if the hens let him. Normally, he will be fertile, and eventually they will submit to him, so yes the eggs will be fertile. To get chicks, a hen must go broody. Not all hens go broody. A broody hen will sit on the eggs in the nest for 21 days to hatch them out. Otherwise, you will need an incubator to hatch them.

Back
Top Bottom