Is this even a CHICKEN?! Or maybe it's a chicken HAWK!

Bert2368

Songster
7 Years
Nov 19, 2013
East central MN
This is "Hedwig", the free chick who came with the 30 others Mira picked out this Spring. Arrived on the last weekend of March- Picture taken March 27th. When he arrived, we looked at him and wondered if maybe he fell out of an owl or hawk nest out in the yard at Murray McMurray's, the workers couldn't figure out where he came from and so they just threw him in with the "get one free" chicks?

Can you ID him? He's skittish to humans, but very dominant towards chickens. And he's BIG, solid and strong too.

photo-195.jpg

photo-197.jpg

photo-196.jpg

This is "Hedwig", the free chick who came with the 30 others Mira picked out this Spring. Arrived on the last weekend of March- Picture taken March 27th. When he arrived, we looked at him and wondered if maybe he fell out of an owl or hawk nest out in the yard at Murray McMurray's, the workers couldn't figure out where he came from and so they just threw him in with the "get one free" chicks?

Can you ID him? He's skittish to humans, but very dominant towards chickens. And he's BIG, solid and strong too.

photo-195.jpg

photo-197.jpg

photo-196.jpg

Is that maybe a guinea fowl? He/she looks awfully large to be a chick.

I have one of those "chicken hawks" too! This is my Easter Egger Pearl (at least I HOPE it's a Pearl) at 8 weeks. Pearl looked a lot like yours at about 4 weeks old - huge, gangly, and just plain grouchy. Now she's almost the same size as the rest - maybe a little bigger. I agree with MacMama - I'd love to see a picture of him (or her) with a chick out of the same shipment for size comparison. Interesting!

photo-197.jpg
Easter Egger Roo

Thanks everyone!

Mira ALSO bought 15 chicks worth of Murray McMurray's "rainbow egg layer collection". So it looks like he might have just come along with his cousins... I have no idea what these other chicks are either, but they're supposed to be all pullets.

I'll try to get a picture of Hedwig along with some of his cohort up tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom