Is this white chicken a Rooster or Hen. Behaviors is odd.

ChickenEnclave

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2023
Hello everyone. Need some help identifying the gender of this specific chicken. For context all 3 chickens in these pictures are same hatch date. Got them from a family friend as chicks. The white chicken in question is the one with deep red comb and waddles. I can not for the life of me figure out if this chicken is a Rooster or Hen. I want to say it's rooster but he doesn't exhibit a few characteristics.

First of all he doesn't crow. Like at all. I've never heard him. Hes extremely skittish to the point worse than all my hens (he won't let me get near him usually.) I have 3 other roosters with one of them in the second photo who all crow and are not scared of me. The other thing is his tail feathers are not like the black rooster in the second photo which the other 2 Roosters who are not photoed also have which I believe is the typical rooster look. The white rooster has hen like tail feathers.

One thing to note is when I pour food despite him being skittish around me he will barge past all of the hens and eat aggressively almost starving down food like a dog. I started to think maybe he might be being bullied from food but I have observed them and watched them eat all the time and he's always getting first digs besides the dominant rooster (white roo is not) and that roos top hen.

The first photo has his white hen sibling that definitely a hen. She doesnt even have waddles yet. If you look at them together you would say they were a hen and roo. He developed this deep red Early on in the 3rd photo (when they were way younger) while black rooster was not even developing yet. But he now crows. White rooster again does not.

Can anyone tell me if he really is a rooster and if he is, why does he not crow when he developed faster than the other roos?

Attachments

• IMG_20230917_134735322.jpg
    IMG_20230917_134735322.jpg
    733.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20230917_134739751.jpg
    IMG_20230917_134739751.jpg
    903.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20230704_180737813.jpg
    IMG_20230704_180737813.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58

Back
Top Bottom