Is this even possible?!?!

No. Still highly doubt it. It's not worth the cost to the hatchery
Agreed… I’m sure the hatchery has nothing to do with a chick’s mutation. Just like farmers don’t genetically modify their tomato, corn, wheat or soy crops… it could be a mutated gene from many generations ago, passed on as a dormant gene that expressed itself with this chick. I’m not sure what your point is. Did I miss something..? A question was asked and I have an educated reply. Unless we do a genetic profile, DNA mapping, loads of bloodwork, MRI and a necropsy, All we have are educated theories… I offered mine, what’s yours..? I’m sure that if you have a theory, it will be received with consideration and respect…
+Blessings

That's 2 today
One of my hens went through a spell of laying very thin shelled eggs over night - 2 of them at a time. Took me a while to figure out who it was.

Before this she laid an egg every few days, then she started this frequent double egg with brittle thin shell thing. Really bothered me, but she was running around eating digging in dirt doing crazy chicken stuff... So I just kept an eye on her.

After about 6 weeks of this she went through a mini molt stopped laying and hasn't laid an egg since! This was a couple months ago. Which is fine with me.

Maybe if your gal goes through a molt it should stop her and maybe get her system back in order or stop laying all together.

Of note - her daughter lays infrequently also, maybe 3 eggs week, and has just a couple days ago decide to go broody (great another!). She is a barnyard mutt, and who knows what her mum is also!

The only hens that lay regularly for me are the Silkies! As with any and all animals, it's anything goes.

I shall follow you as I am keen to see how you get on with her 💖

Surprisingly enough it's not my silkies doing the broody thing! It's the barnyard mutts! I think it important to take a break from laying.
I've got 2 silkies, a Silkie/D'uccle cross, & a CrackerFowl hen broody in one coop, a Easter Egger, & a project Orpington in the other coop that are broody.

What ever genes were spliced to turn on the “egg-timer” will have turned on/off other genes too, which could lead to all sorts of deformities or diseases…
Do you think someone was modifying chicken genes in a lab?

I'm pretty sure the good layers have been developed by selective breeding for higher egg production, working with whatever mutations have come to exist in chickens over the last few thousand years. The same goes for the Cornish Cross meat birds, created by selective breeding but selecting for different traits than the layers.

There are so many variations in chickens, there is plenty of material for selective breeding to work with.

Last edited:
I've got 2 silkies, a Silkie/D'uccle cross, & a CrackerFowl hen broody in one coop, a Easter Egger, & a project Orpington in the other coop that are broody.
Wow!

I almost stuck chicks under my 3 which wouldnt quit! I figured I would shove 2 a piece one night and taadaa look ma our golf balls hatched!!! But I don't really need or want more chickies 💖

Back
Top Bottom