Is this feather picked belly or molting? Pics! Still need answers pls

I am no "chicken expert" and I may be way off base, but I wouldn't worry too much. I have 7-1/2 - 10 month old Wyandotte hens (1 is recooperating from a dog attack) they have a nice 10' x 8' hen house & a 20' x 20' fenced in area to get out. They ALL look like the chicken in your picture or worse.

My father-in-law who is an old farmer said that mine were motling. I live in Southern Ohio & it gets really cold in the winter. Being concerned that they would be cold & uncomfortable, I hung a red heat lamp in the house all winter, like what you would use for baby chicks, my father-in-law thinks that the constant light has cause the early molt.

I don't know if this true or not, the hens are extremely good layers, I get between 5 - 8 eggs every day. My hens seem to be in good spirits, so I ass-u-me he is correct. I hope this info is of some help.

Quote:
Yeah interesting, I have found like a clump in the nesting box and she seems to loose feathers in there but she is NOT broody. She doesn't hang out in there or not even near by inside the coop or anything. She acts normal really also continues I think to lay an egg.
I have no clue! I have done searches here and a similar thread was posted but no idea there either..?

Quote:
Yah I just think it is weird for in nature to have them molt right now? Being March with rain lately here...although we are in Cali and it doesn't snow or get terribly cold for long periods..? I kinda thought molting was feathers generally thinning all over bird. Not bald bald ? Like a featherless chicken? Still so clueless on this?

we have 3 barred rocks in our flock and 1 of them looks just like yours, and has for weeks, we dusted etc...she is now just showing signs of molt on other areas of her body. sunflower seeds are supposed to be good for the birds when they molt, it gives them better coat of feathers it;s worked for ours. Let us know the end result!
he.gif

Ive done alot of reading on your problem and mine, I really dont beleive its molting for one that usually starts at the neck, and most of the time it dosent last that long. I really think its picking. In my case I think it is something called Depluming mites. I dusted and will dust again in three days. We will see how it goes. Havent seen any bugs but from my understanding these type of mites are hard to trace. and live inside the feather quills. iratating the skin so the chicken picks them out. just an idea. good luck
hmm.png

I'm in the broody camp. She may be self-plucking even though she's not setting yet.

If it were picking, the area would be bloody.

Do a check for the usual lice/mites etc. But if she seems unaffected, I wouldn't worry much.

Laura Haggarty
www.pathfindersfarm.com

Back
Top Bottom