Is this fowl pox? And what should I do about it?

chics in the sun

Songster
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
St.Petersburg
I read a bit on here, and it seems there isn't much I can do but keep them as healthy as possible and hope they survive. Unfortunately a few of them are a bit underweight, and all were treated for worms and lice a week ago. Summer hit here in Florida, and all of the sudden I was jugling ailments! So what is the verdict?

52854_duckspox_055.jpg

52854_duckspox_059.jpg

52854_duckspox_060.jpg

One more question - I have a broody (possibly two), and just bid on eggs that end today. Is it safe to let her set them? Should I just do what I can to control the mosqitos? A tall order in Florida, I'm afraid.....
hmm.png

Yup, that's fowl pox, the dry kind. Not much you can do but let it run it's course, usually about 30 days, more or less. You can put iodine on the lesions to help dry them up. Careful around their eyes, dont let any in their eyes, as you know it's very runny. Antibiotics are only good for secondary infections. Fowl pox is a virus and antibiotics wont help.
To control mosquitos you can hang sticky fly strips around the coop, a bug zapper helps alot and they cover about an acre or more. The eggs will be safe to be set on. Consider purchasing fowl pox vaccine for your chicks or chickens that havnt been infected yet. You can go to Jefferslivestock.com and read up on the vaccines. Just type in "fowl pox vaccine" in the search box.
Eggs are safe to eat.

Yep, mine had it. Just let it run it's course. When they get it one time, they won't get it again. With mosquitoes these days, your chickens can't help but get fowl pox. Nothing that I have tried has worked getting rid of or decreasing the number of mosquitoes. I have open air coops.
hmm.png

Thanks, fellow southerners. Mine is an open air coop, too. One thing I thought of doing is planting Eucalyptis around the coop - it is supposed to deter mosqitos. I'll try it and see. The chicks that hatch will only get it if bit by a mosquito, right? Can't get it from the hens?

Quote:
Yes, they have to be bitten by an infected mosquito. Be aware though that the scabs are infective and they fall off in time. I screened the air vents around their coop and put screen on the entrance...there's just enough room for them to go inside and lay eggs and leave, as well as going in for the night.

Back
Top Bottom