Is this Fowl Pox?

Crazy for Critters

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2021
This is Red, he is my year old R. I.. we went put to move them to new grass and I noticed a black scab on his comb. Unfortunately we acquired a couple other roosters and I do not know if this could be a sore from them picking on him , or if it is fowl pox. Has anyone dealt with this before that could give me their opinion please? Our chickens are on pasture all day their house has straw on the ground it has roosting bars and laying boxes. With supplement organic feed and plenty of water inside and out.
20210330_170436.jpg
20210330_170421.jpg
20210330_170438.jpg

I have never had a chicken with it, but from what ive read and pictures i've seen I would say yes, thats chicken pox.

But I am by no means an expert so I would get some other opinions before you reach a conclusion
I will, thank you. I am concerned though because the article I read said it comes from them eating moldy stuff and we always clean their drinkers, fresh straw,

From the comb article on the main page.

Brown, crusty spots on a comb can indicate fowl pox. If you find these on your bird, watch for other symptoms such as loss of appetite, lethargy or feather loss.

Fowl pox is a virus; it has nothing to do with what they eat and I do not believe that’s fowl pox at all. FP are raised, white warts with black scabbish centers.... the tip of the comb looks like frostbite and the blotches on the rest of the comb look like peck marks.

Fowl pox is a virus; it has nothing to do with what they eat and I do not believe that’s fowl pox at all. FP are raised, white warts with black scabbish centers.... the tip of the comb looks like frostbite and the blotches on the rest of the comb look like peck marks.
Oh yeah I didn't think of frostbite.

@Crazy for Critters, do you have below freezing temperatures where you are?

Aspergillosis is caused by mold, not fowl pox.

Fowl pox is from mosquito bites. Two types of presentations, dry (usually survivable) and wet (often fatal but not always). Typically, if one bird gets it, your entire flock will cycle through getting it and getting over it. Good news is that once they've had it and recovered, they're cured for life.
Wet fowl pox often presents with wet or bubbly eyes and/or nares (nostrils).
The image you posted could be dry fowl pox, but could also be a combination of pecking wounds and frostbite (that one comb tip has me wondering). They both pretty much look the same.

What you can do for your flock is to assume they've got fowl pox and supplement their water with a good vitamin, mineral and amino acid supplement for poultry, something like Chick Booster by NeuroVet. This will help ensure a strong immune system to help them recover from this as quickly as possible.

Thank you, Frostbite? We kept heat lamps in their house on night the temperature would go below 32°we put them inside and closed the door . Do you have any advice on what more I should do for them please? I hate that I missed something and caused that.

Back
Top Bottom