Is this Fowlpox or something else, should I be worried? (pictures)

Junebuggena, The screens at the soffits are not closed off. Just hardcloth screen (that's what it's called here, I call it rabbit cage wire). So air from one to another cross ventilation as high as I could make it. And how much difference does it make if the chickens come out of the coop at 7 a.m. and it's 20 degrees? They come running out when I open the door, no matter how cold. Still no comments for A Wicked Chicken, who started this thread, or me on whether these roosters look like frost bite or fowl pox? Anyone?
You have gable vents. Soffit vents are were the side walls meet the roof. Gable venting is more efficient when paired with soffit venting. Soffit vents pull in air, and the gable vents exhaust air.

Junebuggena, The screens at the soffits are not closed off. Just hardcloth screen (that's what it's called here, I call it rabbit cage wire). So air from one to another cross ventilation as high as I could make it. And how much difference does it make if the chickens come out of the coop at 7 a.m. and it's 20 degrees? They come running out when I open the door, no matter how cold. Still no comments for A Wicked Chicken, who started this thread, or me on whether these roosters look like frost bite or fowl pox? Anyone?

Not pox. Never seen frostbite, so can't comment on that.

-Kathy

We're located in Ohio, as far as I can tell it hasn't been cold enough out for them to get frost bite yet, and they stay inside the coop at night.. as far as I can tell there aren't any black spots on their feet just their combs and heads but thank you! I will look into frost bite more!

Yours don't look like pox either.

-Kathy

Why not start your own thread???

Seamed to of taken over the original OPs thread..................?

Anyways.....

Cheers!

Mainly because we had the same question and this site is so big it seems like small questions get passed over. Thought I might be helping by adding to Wicked Chicken post so they could get answers too. If it's considered hijacking and not nice here I won't do it anymore. I'm trying to ask all my newbie questions as politely as possible and not be offensive. My apologizes to Wicked Chicken if adding my same question to his/her thread was invasive.

Chicken poop is moisture.........Ventilation is needed to keep things dry......They breath moisture also.........If the Coop is closed up moisture builds.......I use sand in my coop as bedding.......I use a heat lamp......Today the temps outside are -17 Celsius..With a windchill of -28 Celsius.......

I have seen Birds with Frostbite.....Not my Birds, a friends birds..........That is Frostbite in my opinion.........

Cheers!

Thanks Chickens Really - I was thinking I'd done everything right on my coop, but again, total beginner here. I'd read that insulation and ventilation were most important. The open vents at each end are a triangle about 18 x 12 inches. The floor is deep shavings. Under the roosts I put a large piece of cardboard on top of the shavings and then sprinkle another inch or so of shavings on top of it so I can sweep up the droppings easily. (which is every other day, never any smell in the coop at all but maybe I sweep it everyday?) The walls are insulated except the window & the plastic panels which let light in. The roof is not insulated and I really don't want to use a heat lamp - There's one in there from when I raised the chicks, but the whole reason for choosing Wyandottes was for cold hardiness. This morning was 19 F. (I think that's about -6 C. ). As always everybody comes running out of the coop when I open the door. Leo now has some white spots on his comb. Big Blue Roo's comb (the Silver roo) is just beautifully red and looks completely normal, as are all the pullets. I can get pictures later, but I'd read that frostbite can start out with white spots then turn black. I have black spots now turned white. Again - other than that he looks & acts normal. Crazy-making. OH! and I now have 3 eggs in 4 days!!! And these next two were in the nest boxes!!! Winter-laying Pullets!!! Today is their 6 month birthday.... So I'm happy-dancing. Will do more homework on the coop. Thanks again, every day is a learning experience.

Back
Top Bottom