Is this Fred or Ethel?

lsmith

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 29, 2014
Yerington, NV
My lil EE whom I thought was a hen, has feathered slower than my others and acts very differently. Is she a he?
I'm hoping it's still a hen but then comb is one of those little 3 rowed ones (I'm not sure the name) and the tail feathers look to be coming in that black/green iridescent color. It's funny cause it didn't have tail feathers for a long time and now they're coming in very pretty.
And I don't think you can see it but his fluffy butt
Ah, and he's about 3-4 weeks old now. Thanks in advance!

You can't really go by the three row pea comb rule because some females will have them too. I would think roo because of the slow feathering, but the coloring suggests female. As long as she doesn't get a red comb or red feathers on the shoulders, you'll have a girl.
Also, black feathers with a green/blue sheen can't be used to determine sex either. It just happens because the feathers are a deep, shiny black

You can't really go by the three row pea comb rule because some females will have them too. I would think roo because of the slow feathering, but the coloring suggests female. As long as she doesn't get a red comb or red feathers on the shoulders, you'll have a girl.
Also, black feathers with a green/blue sheen can't be used to determine sex either. It just happens because the feathers are a deep, shiny black
Thanks! I guess I just thought that since the only feathers with the sheen are the tail feathers that it might indicate something, guess not!

I'm totally a newb, but after looking at the EE thread to guess the gender of my two chicks, that coloring says pullet. If she develops orange patches on her wings, then you're in trouble. ;)

Here is an updated set of pictures. She does have a muff coming in as well. Still voting pullet or roo? She is about 6-7 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom