Is this frost bite??

iPeanut1990

Chirping
5 Years
May 7, 2014
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I don't understand how this could have happened already. It wasn't THAT cold last night but it was rainy and a little chilly. I don't know the exact temp it got to. I didn't think I had to worry about it yet so I didn't even check the over night temp. Today it's about 55 and rainy again. I'm in Oklahoma so it's about 82% humid today too. I feel so bad :( . My other 2 chickens are fine. It's just her.

It's not cold enough to be frostbite. It's possible that she may have a fungal infection called favus on her comb, but she looks very suspiciously like she may have dirt, feed, or something else stuck to her comb since it looks to be all over her nostrils, and beak as well. Favus, if that is what you suspect can be treated with Miconazole cream used daily.

How do I know if it's Favus? I was hoping it's dirt but she won't hold her head still long enough for me to try to rub it off. I'll have someone help me hold her when they get home.

Favus won't kill her in a short time,, so take your time and examine her. I like to grab my chickens at night when they have gone to roost, wearing a headlamp to helpp me see, and it's easier to examine or treat them. Miconozole won't hurt her if you use it, but it just doesn't look like favus yet. I can post some links with pictures tomorrow, or you can try searching here at the top of the page for favus pictures.

Back
Top Bottom